Author Topic: Gibraltar 2017: New series of circulating coins  (Read 7184 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
Re: Gibraltar 2017: New series of circulating coins
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2018, 11:56:58 AM »

The 5p, 10p and 20p coins that were minted at Tower Mint are now also in circulation. Tower Mint used the Pobjoy Mint portrait of Her Majesty the Queen on the coins. Interestingly the denomination on the 20p coin is included both in words as well as the figure '20'. This is so far the only denomination to have that. Furthermore there appears to be some kind of 'batchmark' in the same place where Pobjoy Mint used that. Only the 2 pounds coin which was also minted at Tower Mint has not yet been released.

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2018, 01:02:10 PM »
Thanks eurocoin.  Annoyingly, Tower Mint’s website doesn’t appear to be selling them yet.  Only one eBay seller that I can see so far.

Offline Col1n666

« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2018, 04:19:11 PM »
Thanks eurocoin.  Annoyingly, Tower Mint’s website doesn’t appear to be selling them yet.  Only one eBay seller that I can see so far.

http://www.gibraltar-stamps.com/index.php?controller=coins&action=coindetails&id=1687

The coin looks to be in terrible condition!! Cheap though I suppose.

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2018, 08:55:31 PM »
trait
. Furthermore there appears to be some kind of 'batchmark' in the same place where Pobjoy Mint used that. Only the 2 pounds coin which was also minted at Tower Mint has not yet been released.

They also used the "PM" mintmark under the portrait (as well as the batch marks)
Quality looks better than the usual Tower mint products.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2018, 10:31:22 PM »
http://www.gibraltar-stamps.com/index.php?controller=coins&action=coindetails&id=1687

The coin looks to be in terrible condition!! Cheap though I suppose.
Thanks, but I was referring to the Tower Mint’s 5p, 10p and 20p.  The Pobjoy’s 1p, 2p, 50p and £1 are more readily available.

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2018, 10:45:02 PM »
Is the “20” a remnant of an earlier design?  It must be some kind of mistake.  My first thought was that the raised rim of the coin was too narrow to carry the inscription at the same size as it is on the other coins (with the “20” filling the extra space), but as “Twenty Pence” is smaller than the rest of the wording, this clearly isn’t the case.