Kooij on Danish tokens?

Started by FosseWay, January 12, 2017, 06:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FosseWay

I've just acquired a batch of Danish gas and electricity tokens - the kind with GASMØNT or ELMØNT and then a set of cryptic letters and numbers on. On some of the holders, the previous owner (apart from the dealer I bought them from) has written two distinct series of catalogue references.

The first is JS and a four-figure number. I presume JS is Jørgen Sømod; I know his works on Danish tokens exist, but they seem to be as rare as rocking-horse dung. One of these days I will go to Copenhagen for the specific purpose of consulting them in the library.

The second perplexes me. An example is KOOIJ 3b-105. Searching for Kooij turns up a book or two on tokens of the Netherlands, but nothing to do with Denmark. Makes no difference whether I search in English or Danish.

Anyone know more?

(I'd ask the previous owner, but unfortunately he is no longer with us. He had an enormous collection of Swedish and other Scandinavian tokens which have been auctioned off in bits over the last couple of years.)

constanius

Kooij catalog is for Dutch tokens, Netherlands.

Dutch tokens by Rik van Dam

Introduction

"I started this site because exchanging tokens became more and more difficult.
The catalogue from A J  Kooij (which is a very good catalogue) is from 1984 and in the meantime there are a lot of tokens found and issued.
This list I made is a list of the tokens I have and the tokens I know of.
I didn't list the tokens that are already listed in the catalogue of Kooij, the numbers I used are fixed numbers so everybody can use them for a wants and double lists.

If you have tokens from the Netherlands witch are not in this list, and not in the catalogue of A J Kooij (catalogus van Nederlandse betaal- en reclame penningen) please send me a description and photo's (jpg) from the token(s)  I will find out if they are Dutch. And then I'll list them."

http://www.dutchtokens.com/content.asp 

Pat

Figleaf

Kooij has a number of publications in his name, but three include gas and electricity tokens. The latter two have numbers with a different format: EL xxx.y and GA xxx.y, where xxx is a number in alphabetic order of issuer and y a number to make catalogue numbers unique. In other words, there may be a GA 105.3b in theory (in practice, it doesn't exist) but 105 is too high for the EL series.

The third publication is a trial list of these tokens. It has a different numbering system. I know malj1 has a copy.

BTW, the third edition of Kooij's catalogue is dated 2008.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

constanius

One on German tokens, Kooij, A.J. (1991) Liste Von Deutsche Gas Und Elektr. Marken

Danish numismatiek, catalogi Kooij, Hilversum Jaar1991
List of Danish gas and electricity tokens.
  http://www.bibliotheek.nl/catalogus/titel.181264226.html 

Pat

FosseWay

Quote from: constanius on January 12, 2017, 08:03:57 PM
One on German tokens, Kooij, A.J. (1991) Liste Von Deutsche Gas Und Elektr. Marken

Danish numismatiek, catalogi Kooij, Hilversum Jaar1991
List of Danish gas and electricity tokens.
  http://www.bibliotheek.nl/catalogus/titel.181264226.html 

That'll be the one! Thank you :)

Now to work out how to get my hands on a copy. Along with the Sømod volumes and Hayes. And all the other really rare token books...