Author Topic: Tin Pitis Found in Batanghari [ DJAMBI - INDONESIA ]  (Read 1440 times)

Offline ATtheCollections

Tin Pitis Found in Batanghari [ DJAMBI - INDONESIA ]
« on: January 12, 2017, 05:36:31 PM »
i have coin pitis found in batanghari ,  i not understand for languange / legend . please help again  identified this Tin Pitis Coin^_^

:

:

:

:

:

« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 07:21:46 PM by ATtheCollections »

Offline bgriff99

• Meritorious Member
Re: Tin Pitis Found in Batanghari [ DJAMBI - INDONESIA ]
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 03:35:37 PM »
These are superb specimens of Siak and Jambi.   I'm trying to learn to read them too.   Some of the commonly used references are not 100% accurate.   

Offline bgriff99

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 07:58:46 AM »
Coin 3 here reads backwards "Sultan Anum Sr(i) Ingalaga".   It is from Jambi.   The inscription is the sultan's title from the period 1743-90.   Shown is the inscription reading the correct direction.

Coin 5 begins Sultan Sri... but after that there is no agreement what it says.    Millies reads J-M-B for Jambi.   
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 03:37:48 AM by bgriff99 »

Offline bgriff99

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 03:29:38 AM »
Number 4 reads in Javanese:   Chap Sultan Jambi.    This is an extraordinarily clear-reading specimen.     The inscription starts exactly at the top, reads upright and clockwise.       
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 03:34:42 AM by bgriff99 »

Offline bgriff99

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 04:07:22 AM »
Coin 1 is Millies 154.   It reds 'Sultan Siyak'.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 12:49:00 PM »
If you have a paper copy of Millies, could you have a look at this thread?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline bgriff99

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 06:09:52 PM »
Peter, I have to use the on-screen version of Millies.    As you know it is very difficult to match a screen view to another screen view.    That in any case is not an area I am familiar with.    Ask me about imitations of Chinese cash from that region.

Regarding the 5 coins posted on this thread, all but one are difficult to obtain, and extraordinary specimens of their types.    Number 5 has a variant spelling of the final word in its inscription, probably an error.   We still can't figure out what that word means.   Mitchiner reads it from Millies illustrations, not even having a specimen to look at!     He picked the specimen in Millies which is missing a syllable, to get it to say what he wanted it to.

Coin 1 is now posted at Zeno, the first.   It is Millies 154, but reads better, and has every diacritical mark in place.   Millies points out they are missing on his only legible specimen.   

Coin 2 is also not known to Mitchiner.   It is a clearly-written version, which has to be called the prototype of the now-common Siak(maybe) pitis with hexagonal center hole.    The common coins are illiterately blundered.    Problem is that the well-written one still gives no certain reading.    It can be "Sultan Siyak", as Mitchiner reads the crude ones, or "Sri Pangeran Ratou", with Sri in place of Su.

Coin 4 is a difficult one to obtain but the type reads clearly.   I have a pair of nice ones fused back to back.   They read slightly differently from each other, both missing either one letter, or a part of one.    The coin posted here is perfect.   

Offline ATtheCollections

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2018, 07:19:54 PM »
I have pitis again

Offline bgriff99

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2018, 06:29:07 AM »
It reads in Javanese "Sultan Siyak".    This is a difficult coin to find.    I do not have one.