How to delete a wrongly uploaded image

Started by FosseWay, January 08, 2017, 12:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FosseWay

I've managed to upload the wrong picture to filename GBG-GNÅAB-VI-2.jpg. I don't have the right picture, so rather than replacing it (which is easy), I need to get rid of it. How do I do this? The software won't let me just replace it with nothing.

Bimat

Go to 'Modify Message' tab at the right. Un-check the attachment box if you want to delete the wrong attachment and upload a new one (if you want to, not mandatory). As simple as that. See screenshot.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

FosseWay

Sorry, I didn't make it clear: I need to delete the picture on the wiki, not the forum.

Figleaf

Go to the page where your picture is, click the Edit tab, scroll down to the link and edit or delete it.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

FosseWay

The filename is correct. The problem is that I have uploaded the wrong image file to that filename and it seems the only way of fixing it is to overwrite the wrong image with the correct one. I would do this if I had the correct one, but I don't, so what I want to do is erase the file in question.

andyg

I deleted it.

To delete files there is a link if you click on the filename, follow the arrow to get to the menu.  Hopefully you have access to this bit.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

FosseWay

Thanks!

Not exactly obvious, that little arrow...

malj1

It appears fosseway was satisfied with that answer! Not so with me though...

I only see this [below] I wonder if its possible to change this so I have this ability to delete too?  ???

Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

andyg

You and Fosseway have the same account settings...
so I presume if he has access then something else is wrong.

First step - if you click on the picture itself - then try the arrow does the option appear?

malj1

No I have tried many ways but still have only the two items in the drop-down.

I just tried again with an image to be sure but its still the same.
Malcolm

FosseWay

I only made the error once, and Andy fixed it, so I was satisfied with that particular outcome without needing to take further action. I suspect if I burgered it up again I'd have the same problem as Malcolm.

Figleaf

I think only andyg can delete a page (including an illustration page). Since he reacts promptly to a request for removal and doesn't mind being bothered, there is no problem.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

andyg

I guess the idea behind the hard delete being only available to me is to stop vandalism.

On the standard Wikipedia a member can only nominate a page for deletion, so if Mal would like to let on which file he no longer requires I'll push the delete button :)

malj1

I got around it by deleting the contents of the page entirely and saved, then assigned a different number and carried on with the fresh page. So there is one image in the ether somewhere but I know not where as I have now forgotten what it was as I did about 70 items in the one sitting.
Malcolm

andyg

this page - http://www.worldofcoins.eu/wiki/Special:LonelyPages
Is for pages with no friends   ...  or should I say pages that have no links to them.