Maratha Peshwa Rupee with Janjira countermark?

Started by capnbirdseye, January 03, 2017, 02:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capnbirdseye

This is a Maratha Peshwa Rupee, it's suggested on Fb that one of the stamps is a Nagari J for Janjira ? are any of our Maratha experts able to confirm?

the stamp on left image is not fully clear and I'm not sure if it's a J or perhaps the word sri ?  the other circular stamp looks interesting also and does not appear to be a shroff mark
Vic

Figleaf

An official counterpunch has a function in trading. It often aims at keeping the coin in one place, as it would be more valuable there. It can also be used as a mark to separate allowed, full weight or approved coins from forgeries and withdrawn coins. In these cases, it is vital that the public can spot the countermark at a glance.

It looks like these punches are too small for such a purpose. Furthermore, the marks are carefully placed on the coin and well struck (limited number of coins per day to mark), whereas official countermarks would be all over the coin and sloppily executed (large number of coins to mark all at once).

For these reasons, I favour the scenario that they are elaborate banker's marks. I would not find it remarkable that there are more punchmarks of the same general type on the same coin. That may have to do with local competition, custom or rules.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

capnbirdseye

I'm fairly sure it's not a bankers mark,there are other examples of coins with this stamp & it's more clearer than mine such as this one
Vic

asm

This will clearly show the 'Ja' for Janjira. These coins were stamped by the Siddis (the Janjira chiefs) for use in Janjira.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

capnbirdseye

Quote from: asm on January 04, 2017, 01:09:43 PM
This will clearly show the 'Ja' for Janjira.

Amit

Is mine just a shroff mark Amit?
Vic

asm

Vic, can you see this with the coin in hand? The image is a little blurred for me to be 101% sure.

asm

BTW, some interesting details on the coinage of Janjira:

Janjira was a fort on an island in the south of Maharashtra controlled by the Siddis. The second part of the state was Jafarabad, a tiny state of some 12 villages spread over about fifty sq. miles of territory located on the southern coast of Kathiawar - currently in the Amreli district of Gujarat. The thanedar of the fort of Jafrabad started acting independent of the Mughal overlords when the hold of the Mughal emperors waned. The inhabitants took to piracy and started looting ships and vessels passing along the coast. Sidi Hilol, a prince of Janjira descent and then in control of the port of Surat attacked and destroyed these boats and imposed a hefty fine on the thanedar of Jafrabad. Since the fine could not be paid, the state was sold to the Sidi. When he could not administer the state due to the lawlessness in Kathiawad, he transferred the control to the Nawab of Janjira.

Copper coins of the Janjira Nawabs have been frequently found in the area surrounding Jafrabad but are rarely found in Janjira or its surroundings. However, the Silver and a few Gold coins of Janjira – including the Maratha coins counter marked 'Ja' which are found in Janjira are not to be found in this area.

Amit

capnbirdseye

Quote from: asm on January 05, 2017, 06:21:09 AM
Vic, can you see this with the coin in hand? The image is a little blurred for me to be 101% sure.

I can see it could well be a Ja but there appears to be other protrusions in the stamp which should not be there unless the punch they used has maybe cracked, ?
I'll have another attempt at a more focused  photo
Vic

capnbirdseye

I've not managed to get it much clearer unfortunately, still not sure what the other protrusions are unless it reads as Sri?
Vic

asm

Definitely clearer but still not sure. But my hunch is that it is a Ja. I first thought it to be Ga.....

Amit