Author Topic: San Marino 2017: Marco Simoncelli  (Read 705 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
San Marino 2017: Marco Simoncelli
« on: December 19, 2016, 09:51:17 AM »
Numismatic office of San Marino plans to issue a bimetallic €5 collector coin (similar to this year's issue) next year commemorating Marco Simoncelli. He was born in 1987 (thus, 30 years ago) and died in 2011 in an accident. Issue price: €17, postage included...

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: San Marino 2017: Marco Simoncelli
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 07:13:55 PM »
Two more issues from San Marino. First, there will (from what I have read) not be a proof €10 coin - instead you can now buy a €10 collector coin dedicated to the football club AS Rome. The club was founded in 1927, thus 90 years ago. (Yep, ninety. Why wait another ten years if you can make money now? ;D ) This will be a silver BU coin in a coin card (see attachment), price €32. http://www.aasfn.sm/on-line/home/news-ed-eventi/articolo34011393.html

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 07:15:04 PM »
There is also a new proof €5 silver coin that honors, or advertises, the Games of the Small States of Europe. These games (with a dozen or so sports disciplines) will be in San Marino this year, in late May/early June. http://www.sanmarino2017.sm The participating countries are Andorra, Cyprus, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Montenegro and San Marino. Price of the coin: €35. http://www.aasfn.sm/on-line/home/news-ed-eventi/articolo34011395.html

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 12:25:26 PM »
The Simoncelli €5 coin will be issued on August 31, along with the second €2 commemorative for the year (Sustainable Tourism). The coin can be had for face value, postage will be extra (€8.80). However, if you have already reserved your €2 commemorative and want to have the €5 coin too, then the €5 coin will be shipped along with €2 commemorative without any additional postage, provided you confirm your order of €5 coin on or before August 21.

76,493 coins will be issued (in capsules).

Aditya

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 01:51:50 PM »
This has to be one of the weirdest coins on the planet.

Not only was Simoncelli not from San Marino, and has nothing much to do with San Marino, he died in 2011 and the coin has the date up to 2017, for whatever reason, as if he died this year. I thought it a little weird that they'd make a coin so soon after his death, but found out it was 6 years ago. So... why?

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2017, 02:18:24 PM »
This has to be one of the weirdest coins on the planet.

Not only was Simoncelli not from San Marino, and has nothing much to do with San Marino, he died in 2011 and the coin has the date up to 2017, for whatever reason, as if he died this year. I thought it a little weird that they'd make a coin so soon after his death, but found out it was 6 years ago. So... why?

It commemorates the 30th anniversary of his birth. The Grand Prix of San Marino is being held at the Misano World Circuit Marco Simoncelli in Italy. That is about the closest (and only) connection between him and San Marino I was able to find.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 11:48:12 PM »
found out it was 6 years ago. So... why?

Found out by reading the initial post? ;) Aditya mentioned when Simoncelli was born and when he died. As for the "timing" of that piece, I agree it is quite early. But the Numismatic Office probably figured that currently quite a few people remember Simoncelli and may be interested in the coin. That is quite likely to be somewhat different in 20 or 70 years ...

Also, while Simoncelli was Italian, both his birthplace and the town where he grew up are not far from San Marino. ("Cosμ a San Marino, Stato vicino alla sua Coriano e alla Romagna dei motori, abbiamo deciso di dedicargli questa emissione." - AASFN) The JFK coin from 2013 I found odd, but this one, oh well. Among the coins from San Marino you will find many that commemorate people from or places in Italy. I've seen much worse from our usual suspects in Africa or Oceania ...

Christian

Offline augsburger

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 02:48:11 AM »
The point being that a coin normally needs to be self explanatory, but how many people who don't know who this guy is, will think he died in 2017?

People don't live until they're 400 years old, 1387-1787 is quite clear it's 400 years later, but 30 years, plenty of people live 30 years. I have never seen anything like this in my life, and my initial thought was that he died this year.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 10:22:30 AM »
This "don't know the guy" is probably the crucial point here. While I am not really interested in motorbike or F1 races, the name is familiar here (in the sense of, ah yes, died in an accident). Similarly, three years ago San Marino issued a collector coin dedicated to Ayrton Senna, for the 20th anniversary of his death. So that coin has the dates "1994" and "2014". Again, the issuer probably figured that collectors, at least in San Marino and Italy, will remember such guys and buy the coins ...

On the other hand we have issues (digression alert) honoring the world famous scientists Dr. Venkman, Dr. Stantz and Dr. Spengler. For some sinister reason the coins - legal tender in, errm, Tuvalu - do not even have the birth or death dates of any of the three. There certainly are lots of odd and odder coins on this planet. ;)

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 10:29:36 AM »
To be very honest, AASFN does not issue coins to please collectors. Their aim is (and ideally should be) to make money and they do not feel anything wrong in issuing coins which have little or nothing to do with San Marino. J. F. Kennedy too did not have anything to do with San Marino, yet he appeared on one of their collector coin. As long as collectors do not mind paying for it, AASFN will continue to issue such irrelevant themed coins...

Aditya

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2017, 12:35:17 PM »
Right. They issue stuff (I can't get myself to call them coins) they expect to be able to sell, but the people they sell to call themselves collectors. In my world, there's a huge difference between amateur scientists, getting into and beyond a coin and get-rich-quickly hoarders. The only thing between those two are casual and serious collectors who collect pictures on metal, rather than coins. Sorry for the easy labels. I need them to shorten the post but realise there are no sharp borders between the groups and motives are usually too complicated to catch in a short label.

So if San Marino issues non-relevant stuff, they clearly aim at picture collectors and get-rich-quickly hoarders and not at amateur scientists. That partly overlaps with WoC's target group: amateur scientists and picture collectors. It gives the amateur scientists the right to mock them and the picture collectors the right to defend them.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 12:40:55 PM »
By the way, since this Simoncelli coin is going to be issued for face value, it can circulate (at least in theory) in San Marino and thus, not a NCLT. I think I'll get one for myself. Last year's €5 issue was priced at €8, so making it available for €5 is a welcome step.

Aditya

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 12:43:11 PM »
not a NCLT.

Of course it is a NCLT, the cash cycle is not designed for it to be part of it.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 01:00:15 PM »
By the way, since this Simoncelli coin is going to be issued for face value, it can circulate (at least in theory) in San Marino and thus, not a NCLT. I think I'll get one for myself.

That's your choice to make and not anyone else's business. I had Dutch, French, Austrian and German coins issued at face but not circulating significantly in my collection, but I restrict myself to Dutch issues now. I keep telling myself to go to San Marino one day to see for myself what circulates there, but (in Michelin terms) while it's interesting, it's worth only a small detour and it's not worth the trip. ;) Anyway, I expect to find a situation as in Monaco, where I do go from time to time: only Italian coins in circulation, but every once in a while, a local coin turns up.

BTW, is there a San Marino coin sales shop in Rome?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2017, 05:30:29 PM »
BTW, is there a San Marino coin sales shop in Rome?

No. AASFN has a store in San Marino only, the address is:

Piazzetta Garibaldi, 5
San Marino Cittΰ - Centro Storico
47890 - Repubblica di San Marino
Tel: 0549 882353
Fax: 0549 882363

(Closed on Saturdays and Sundays)

Aditya