login

Author Topic: Mysia, Parium: Commodus (177-192 CE) Unit (RPC IV 3164; SNG BN 1484)  (Read 237 times)

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
Mysia, Parium: Commodus (177-192 CE) Unit (RPC IV 3164; SNG BN 1484)

Obv: IMP CAIMV COMODVS; Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right
Rev: DEO AESC SVB; Asclepius seated right, examining hoof of a bull standing left; CGIHP in exergue

A high-resolution image of this coin is available at FORVM Ancient Coins

A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline Bob L.

Re: Mysia, Parium: Commodus (177-192 CE) Unit (RPC IV 3164; SNG BN 1484)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 01:48:54 PM »
Some honest wear and a few spots of corrosion, but a handsome and impressive coin nonetheless.  Very interesting reverse.  I'm not familiar with whatever the narrative is there.  Looks like Asclepius and the bull are having some deep conversation.

Offline Quant.Geek

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 07:27:00 PM »
Some honest wear and a few spots of corrosion, but a handsome and impressive coin nonetheless.  Very interesting reverse.  I'm not familiar with whatever the narrative is there.  Looks like Asclepius and the bull are having some deep conversation.

Hi Bob,

Even with the wear and the corrosion spots, this particular specimen is far better than what is typically available.  For instance, consider the specimen at the Staatliche Museen zu Berlin below.  As for the narrative of the reverse, there are two competing theories:

1) Asclepius is healing the Bull OR
2) According to the cult of Asclepius, the first leg of a bull is sacrificed at the altar to Asclepius and hence this could depict that sacrifice.

Regards,

QG

A gallery of my coins can been seen at FORVM Ancient Coins

Offline Bob L.

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 09:12:59 PM »
Very interesting context for that reverse.  Thanks for the info.  And, indeed, you can legitimately say that your coin is better than museum-quality.  Great acquisition...congrats.