Author Topic: Logging "dog tags"  (Read 1981 times)

Offline ghulse

• Reader
Logging "dog tags"
« on: June 19, 2007, 08:36:49 PM »
I wonder if this is specifically an American phenomena, but some time back I ran across two different "dog tags" that were issued to loggers working on local log drives. As many of the loggers were from Russia and had last names that could hardly be spelled much less pronounced by the local pay master, the logger recorded his name as best he could at the beginning of the drive and was issued a special metal tag with the initials of the company, the year of the drive and a number. Each night he would record his hours showing his tag. At the end of the drive he turned his tag in and was paid accordingly. Is this strictly something local (northern New Hampshire) or is this something that was used in those countries that used to drive winter cut logs down a local river to the mills.

GHulse

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Logging "dog tags"
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 10:03:02 PM »
Apart from the military "dog tag", I am familiar with fire brigade tags and coal miner tags. These were all issued for security reasons, though, so you may not consider them comparable. The military tags were of course to identify bodies and to keep a register of those known to have died. The fire brigade tags were handed in before the firemen went into action, so that there was an instant register of who had participated. They were reclaimed when the fire was under control. Coal miners used the same system to determine who was underground. The fireman and coal miner tokens had a number, rather than a name.

Tokens for logging work done are plentyful. The best known are the plantation tokens from South America and South-East Asia and the coaling tokens from a number of small islands, mostly in the Caribean and the Atlantic, but I also have French tokens for workers paid by units produced: cigarette paper and hats. However, these do not carry the name of a worker.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 11:04:24 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.