Author Topic: Update on forthcoming books on Swedish tokens  (Read 765 times)

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
Update on forthcoming books on Swedish tokens
« on: November 25, 2016, 08:59:48 PM »
A few years ago, Kungliga Myntkabinettet published a fine volume on Stockholm's tokens (Stockholmspolletter - annorlunda pengar i fabrikörers och fattigas stad, Wiséhn & Golabiewsky). This has spawned ideas for a number of follow-up volumes for other parts of Sweden, at least two of which are making concrete progress.

The Skåne book has now gone to press and will be published in the new year. One of its compilers, Bernt Thelin, is coming to Gothenburg in February and will bring copies with him, so I will be able to give a review then.

The Gothenburg book, which I am involved with, is scheduled for publication at the end of next year or early 2018. We have more or less drawn a line now under the list of tokens to be included, but there remains a good deal of background work to be done to explain who issued the tokens, what they were used for and so on. Monica Golabiewsky, who did the layout of the Stockholm book, will be doing our layout as well, so there will be a good deal of similarity in approach and layout. Ours is, however, more comprehensive, in that the Stockholm book leaves out a large number of modern (last 50 years) tokens, while we are including everything we've come across that meets the criteria for inclusion.

A third book was underway covering Dalsland, Bergslagen, Kopparberg and around. Its author was Anders Stam, a prolific collector and researcher of Swedish tokens (Sweden's Jørgen Sømod, if you like). Like Sømod, Stam died very suddenly and far too young a couple of years ago, and since then the book has run into the ground.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
Re: Update on forthcoming books on Swedish tokens
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 09:41:45 PM »
Very interesting.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 11:45:29 AM »
I have the Stockholm book. If the other books are of the same quality they deserve the highest recommendation. Printed on good paper, with sharp colour illustrations, well researched and with excellent background texts, these are worthwhile references, even if you don't collect Swedish tokens or if you are only interested in a taste of life in Sweden in past times.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 04:02:02 PM »
Just back from Stockholm. Of course I visited the Kungliga Myntkabinettet. Now I own this great token catalogue, too. To my highest surprise this book - having 400 pages of best paper with brilliant illustrations and being high quality hard bound - costs only 15 Euros. It must be heavily sponsored. I cannot think a better souvenir.  :D

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 04:51:20 PM »
The standard price is 300 kronor, or a shade over 30 euros. I presume they are discounting it (and other items, no doubt) as a way of clearing stock ahead of the move to new premises.

The Skåne book is also available at 300 kronor.

Offline Afrasi

• Honorary Member
  • To do is to doo be dooh ...
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 05:17:16 PM »
Interesting! I paid 150 SEK. Makes my joy about this book even larger. 8)