Author Topic: Coin or token?  (Read 1236 times)

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
Coin or token?
« on: November 21, 2016, 10:26:03 PM »
This is part of a job lot (sellers images) so no weight, but I do know from its surroundings that it is 25 mm.

Rechenpfennig perhaps.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Coin or token?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 08:56:03 AM »
Certainly not a coin and a tad too small to be a counter, I would say. There is a text around the edge (SACVA MO...?). I can't make sense of it. Can you read it?

The side with the text looks like a 17th or 18th century trade logo, with a W down below. However, the other side seems to have fireman attributes. For the moment, my best guess is a fireman presence token. They were used to keep track of who went into the burning house and who  did or didn't come out.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline bagerap

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 09:13:04 AM »
 Thanks Peter, I think you're pretty much bang on the money. That certainly could be a pump on the left side rather than a letter W. And the Latin Salva Nos fits nicely.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 09:27:33 AM »
SALVA NOS makes sense. Could the other side read FILIVS DEVS? What was bugging me is that I didn't see a unique id of the wearer, but now I wonder if it could be the blob dead centre on the other side in the sort of square. BTW, the object on the right looks like a pickaxe, but what's the upside-down penis on the left (taking into account that this side is pictured upside down)?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline saro

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 10:10:04 AM »
May be I have too much imagination  ::)...I see a double gallow with two hanged and the same top view with two ladders  ???
the top view is from the sky, as seen by God and "SALVA NOS" may have sense...
the "personnage" (if it is...) on right could be a woman (with dress) and a man on left and a ladder for each...
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:44:50 AM by saro »
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)