Author Topic: Mintmarks & privy marks on the Euro coins.  (Read 32518 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
Re: Mintmarks & privy marks on the Euro coins.
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2007, 03:21:29 PM »
CYPRUS (from 2008)
Mint Marks
(none) - Finnish Mint, Vantaa
Privy Marks
(none)

Yes, that I found a little surprising when I saw images of the CY pieces. Usually the Mint of Finland does put some mark on the euro coins (GR, LU, SI) that it makes ...

By the way, all German mints - those that make German coins, that is - are government mints. Each of them is state owned/operated, none of them is a federal institution. Also, the ?2 commems "all" have the designer's initials. Well, all translates to three (including the 2008 piece) so far. ;)

According to Gerhard Sch?n (the catalog author) Belgium plans to put a "B" or "BE" on its circulation coins as from 2008 or 2009. The mint mark and mintmaster sign may then be displayed too, like on the ?2 commems. We'll wait and see.

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2008, 03:17:16 PM »
According to Gerhard Sch?n (the catalog author) Belgium plans to put a "B" or "BE" on its circulation coins as from 2008 or 2009. The mint mark and mintmaster sign may then be displayed too, like on the ?2 commems. We'll wait and see.
Yes, the "BE" and the mintmark and mintmaster sign are about to come this year. See http://www.worldofcoins.eu/index.php/topic,1015.0.html

Oh, and then there is some other tidbit. ;)  Later this year, Luxembourg will issue a low mintage proof set of the ?2 commems minted so far (2004-2008). The coins for these sets are made by the KNM (Utrecht, NL) and the MdP (Pessac, FR). See http://www.bcl.lu/fr/monnaie/numismatique/catalogue_numismatique.pdf (page 11).

Now that makes me wonder ... Will these be pieces made in 2008? After all, the "original" ?2 commems dated 2005 and 2006 were made in Finland. And if they are actually "restruck" this way, what about the mintmarks and mintmaster signs?

Christian
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 03:28:24 PM by chrisild »

Offline a3v1

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2008, 03:29:26 PM »
If that is true (and so far I have not seen any official information about this), will we soon see LU ?2 proof pieces dated, say, 2005 but made in 2008? And will they have the marks of the Monnaie de Paris even though the original pieces have Dutch (2004) or Finnish (2005/06) marks?
@ Christian,
Sources at the BCL say that the 2004 reprints will be made in Utrecht as its technique (with the big H) can not be reproduced by Monnaie de Paris.
With regard to the reprints of the Finnish 2005/2006 coins we'll have to wait and see.
Regards,
a3v1
Over half a century of experience as a coin collector.
-------------
Money is like body fat: If there's too much of it, it always is in the wrong places.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2008, 03:39:06 PM »
Hehe, you posted your reply while I was still busy editing mine.

Well, not that I care too much; the years on many coins do not have that much to do with when they were actually produced anyway. ;) But this will be a tad expensive for those collectors who want to have each and every member state/year/mint mark combination ...

Christian

Offline AussieBoy

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2008, 02:37:32 PM »
I have found this very interesting guys. Many thanks.

BC Numismatics

Mintmarks & privy marks on the Euro coins.
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2008, 01:08:05 PM »
I'm not sure if the 2007 15 Euros medal-coin from Ireland has a mintmark.I can confirm that this was struck at the Croatian Mint,Zagreb though.

The Manx silver 15 Euros has the Pobjoy Mint's 'PM' mintmark.

Kevin is going to do a bit of research as to which mints struck which gold & silver Euro-denominated medal-coins from Ireland,so he can mention this in his Wikipedia article.

Aidan.

Offline blackev

« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2008, 04:05:38 PM »
This set will most defiantly become part of my collection.
I am a little disappointed that they will be doing a re-strike its almost a betrayal of trust to those who got the coins in the proof sets.

@Aidan: yes the 2007 Ivan €15 coin does have a mintmark (CM), I believe the only Irish euro coin to have one.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2008, 12:12:31 PM »
Actually both the Irish €15 coin and the Croatian 150 kuna piece have that CM sign (at different positions though; on the coin from Croatia it is in the 8 to 9 o'clock range so to say. :) Did not know that is a mintmark though. The Irish coins do usually not have such signs at all, and Croatian collector coins (I have very few only) seem to have the designer's initials.

Christian

Offline blackev

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2008, 03:41:44 PM »
You may be right Christan, it may not be a mintmark, I do not know much about mintmarks, however as the designers are Ivan Meštrović & Damir Mataušić' and the sign is CM the Croatian Mint seemed to fit the bill.

Yes you are right about the 150Kuna, I did not mention this because technically its not an Irish coin, even though It comes in a double set.

-Kevin

BC Numismatics

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2008, 03:03:50 PM »
Kevin,
  The Croatian 150 Kuna medal-coin possibly has Mestrovic's Irish coin design as well,given the fact that Ivan Mestrovic was invited to design the Irish Free State's coins in 1927,even though his designs arrived too late to be considered.

Aidan.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2008, 03:14:07 PM »
@Aidan: Yes, the two designs are almost twins, so to say. I just posted a link to the folder:
http://www.worldofcoins.eu/forum/index.php/topic,368.0.html

@Kevin: Who knows, maybe the sign does not even say CM. The designer seems to use that "logo" on his medals http://www.matausic.net/medalje.php?lang_switch=1 too - an M with a mirrored D maybe. Here are two of his medals:

http://www.matausic.net/images/img/117.jpg
http://www.matausic.net/images/img/130.jpg

Mint mark? Designer's initials? Maybe the usual suspects (Krause and Schön catalogs) can tell. :)

Christian
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 03:33:25 PM by chrisild »

BC Numismatics

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2008, 12:33:24 AM »
Christian,
  The Krause catalogue makes no mention of a mintmark at all for the Irish 15 Euros,but at least it is pictured,& has a 'KM' number assigned though.

Aidan.

Offline theeuro

« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2008, 07:55:25 AM »
Hello,

I have a website called The Euro Information Website and have devoted tons of research to this subject. Please find my results here: Mint Marks, Mintmaster Marks and Initials.

Kind regards,
MdV

BC Numismatics

« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2008, 07:59:00 AM »
Hello,

I have a website called The Euro Information Website and have devoted tons of research to this subject. Please find my results here: Mint Marks, Mintmaster Marks and Initials.

Kind regards,
MdV

Thanks,that is very interesting.You should submit this to both teams at Krause Publications & the Schoen catalogue publishers.

Aidan.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2009, 02:44:58 PM »
Hi a3v1,
The information which you have provided is really useful..many thanks for it! Where I can find the information about the Edge varieties in 1 and 2 Euro coins?

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.