News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

India: New Series of Banknotes Soon

Started by Bimat, November 10, 2016, 07:55:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Economic affairs secretary Shaktikanta Das just announced that banknotes of all denominations (₹10, ₹20, ₹50, ₹100 and ₹1000, along with recently introduced ₹500 and ₹2000) with improved features, design and dimensions will be introduced soon. Apart from old ₹500 and ₹1000, banknotes of all other denominations will continue to remain legal tender.

I'm not sure if ₹1 and ₹5 banknotes are also getting redesigned.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

dheer

Interesting. Maybe they will stop the Rs 1 and Rs 5 notes.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Bimat

I'm now convinced that unearthing black money was never a chief aim of this decision. Preventing counterfeit currency is the aim.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

dheer

Quote from: Bimat on November 10, 2016, 09:49:54 AM
I'm now convinced that unearthing black money was never a chief aim of this decision. Preventing counterfeit currency is the aim.

Aditya

Interesting theory.

Bimat

They would have never introduced a ₹2000 banknote if curbing out black money was the aim. Advantage of doing publicity with 'black money' tag is that it increases the impact of the decision. ;)

Aditya

asm

Quote from: Bimat on November 10, 2016, 09:49:54 AM
I disagree. This move had multiple aims - remove counterfeit notes from circulation, remove unaccounted for money in hands of a few which would (in my guess be over 10 to 15% of all money in circulation), prevent further counterfeiting (there are rumours that a large amount of currency printing paper - far more than their needs, had been purchased by our neighbours which would by now have been printed) for atleast some more time to come, prevent use of these large amounts of cash during the up coming state elections...... and with the money that is not exchanged, the RBI will have enough surplus to pay the government for the extra funds required for arms purchases and some social service schemes without increasing deficit................... 

Did any one read how the secrecy was maintained? A note circulated prior to the cabinet meet had required that all ministers who attended a cabinet meet would have to leave their cell phones out - and after the meet, no minister was permitted to leave the place till the PM made the official announcement. This ensured perfect secrecy - unheard of in Indian politics. The meet was officially called to discuss about the PM's visit to Japan (which started today). The TV channels - who excel themselves in claiming to "break" news were broke as they had been predicting the PM's address to the nation would be on the border & Kashmir troubles........

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

asm

Quote from: Bimat on November 10, 2016, 10:29:24 AM
They would have never introduced a ₹2000 banknote if curbing out black money was the aim.
I disagree ..... the Rs. 2000 were introduced to speed up the replacement. since almost 85% of all notes in circulation were the 500's and 1000's, it would need a huge number of 100's to replace them. My thinking is that once the work is done, the banks may be quitely persuaded to withdraw the 2000's from circulation........... leaving only very few notes in circulation.

BTW, it appears that all the 10's & 20's that were not accepted by the public in general when they withdrew money from the banks are now out again.......... All banks seem to be paying out these notes here (in Ahmedabad). The news is that the 100's & 500 have been stacked up for ATM's and will come out only tomorrow. A few 2000's have been seen today.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Bimat

I'm informed that no redesign of ₹1 and ₹5 notes is planned.

Aditya

dheer

If the intent of Rs 2000 note was to fool horders into believing that higher denomination notes will not be demonetised ....

Or 2000 denomination will be abolished

Hard to believe

Bimat

Government will be spending over 20,000 crore rupees on introduction of these two new notes in next few months (think of production cost + logistical expenses etc). If they withdraw the ₹2000 note, then there's nothing more foolish than this.

Also, black money hoarders will be smarter this time. They will not hoard banknotes anymore. I can think of skyrocketing gold prices in next few months (the process has already begun).

Aditya

dheer

Hoarding gold does not help... People already hoard

But converting to cash before distribution or distributing gold is hard and not practical

Enlil

Quote from: dheer on November 10, 2016, 04:55:59 PM
Hoarding gold does not help... People already hoard

But converting to cash before distribution or distributing gold is hard and not practical

There are other currencies that can be purchased, and not at the bank either.

Bimat

It is now said that the new ₹1000 banknote may feature Dr. Ambedkar. Many BJP leaders are putting pressure for this move as UP elections are near and putting Ambedkar's portrait on banknote will polarize Dalit votes towards BJP; which otherwise are mostly attracted by BSP (a regional party).

Aditya

dheer

Quote from: Bimat on November 11, 2016, 11:50:37 AM
It is now said that the new ₹1000 banknote may feature Dr. Ambedkar. Many BJP leaders are putting pressure for this move as UP elections are near and putting Ambedkar's portrait on banknote will polarize Dalit votes towards BJP; which otherwise are mostly attracted by BSP (a regional party).

Aditya

There was a similar rumour that Rs 2000 notes will have Sardar Patel. I am not sure if we will have Dr Ambedkar. It may open up can of worms.

Bimat

Quote from: asm on November 10, 2016, 11:37:33 AM
Did any one read how the secrecy was maintained? A note circulated prior to the cabinet meet had required that all ministers who attended a cabinet meet would have to leave their cell phones out - and after the meet, no minister was permitted to leave the place till the PM made the official announcement. This ensured perfect secrecy - unheard of in Indian politics. The meet was officially called to discuss about the PM's visit to Japan (which started today). The TV channels - who excel themselves in claiming to "break" news were broke as they had been predicting the PM's address to the nation would be on the border & Kashmir troubles........

Not quite so... :o

Aditya