News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Bukhara Zeno 236603

Started by Figleaf, October 31, 2016, 11:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

My first reaction to this coin was "Chach, type 6". That didn't work out. Neither the wild hair nor the crown fits with the pictures in SK. Returning to the tamgha, I considered type 1, but those only have faces looking sideways.

That leaves as a conclusion that this is not a coin from Chach. The tamgha looks like a hexagon (six sides) with two lines sticking out horizontally or vertically, though there may be more lines.

All clues and help are appreciated.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

THCoins

Looked at this one several times. No good attribution from me unfortunately. But i do very much like the execution of the 3/4 facing style portrait here !

Figleaf

Thanks TH. Appreciate your effort. I haven't come any farther either. Even tried imagining that it was a lion's head. No good came of that either. Indeed, that's a pretty clear head, so I have hope that I'll learn more one day.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Pellinore

Is it a thin scyphate coin, like this one, #160835 on Zeno? I have a few of these. It's Sogdian, apparently from Bukhara. Small hollow coins with a haunting face at one side and a leaf-like tamgha on the other.
-- Paul

Figleaf

The tamgha is quite different. It looks a bit like a headless bird: a body with a neck and two legs sticking out. On Wednesdays and Fridays I can even imagine a line under the bird's feet. I think I waded through all the coins of a similar type on Zeno but found nothing like the tamgha or the wild hair head.

Peter

Figleaf

Got it at last. Zeno 236603, assigned to Bukhara. :coinsilver::perfect:

Peter

THCoins

Perseverance pays out !

Anthony