Author Topic: Chach? Maybe not.  (Read 826 times)

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Chach? Maybe not.
« on: October 31, 2016, 11:57:10 AM »
My first reaction to this coin was "Chach, type 6". That didn't work out. Neither the wild hair nor the crown fits with the pictures in SK. Returning to the tamgha, I considered type 1, but those only have faces looking sideways.

That leaves as a conclusion that this is not a coin from Chach. The tamgha looks like a hexagon (six sides) with two lines sticking out horizontally or vertically, though there may be more lines.

All clues and help are appreciated.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Chach? Maybe not.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 09:53:04 PM »
Looked at this one several times. No good attribution from me unfortunately. But i do very much like the execution of the 3/4 facing style portrait here !

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 10:45:57 PM »
Thanks TH. Appreciate your effort. I haven't come any farther either. Even tried imagining that it was a lion's head. No good came of that either. Indeed, that's a pretty clear head, so I have hope that I'll learn more one day.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 01:16:48 AM »
Is it a thin scyphate coin, like this one, #160835 on Zeno? I have a few of these. It's Sogdian, apparently from Bukhara. Small hollow coins with a haunting face at one side and a leaf-like tamgha on the other.
-- Paul

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 01:46:44 AM »
The tamgha is quite different. It looks a bit like a headless bird: a body with a neck and two legs sticking out. On Wednesdays and Fridays I can even imagine a line under the bird's feet. I think I waded through all the coins of a similar type on Zeno but found nothing like the tamgha or the wild hair head.

Peter