Author Topic: Bukhara Obol  (Read 553 times)

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS UK
Bukhara Obol
« on: October 17, 2016, 06:39:38 PM »
Another I was gifted from another good friend over the weekend - but I don't know much about this one.

Bukhara
Bearded Head
'Antiochus'
Obol
Macw 397
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: Bukhara Obol
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2016, 09:19:45 PM »
I would argue that this is MACW 350, rather than 347. This is an obol, inspired by Seleucid coinage. There is a classical head looking left, inspired by the coins of the Seleucid Antiochus on one side. Earlier coins have a legend in front of the face, but this one is nameless. On the other side is an archer facing right, whose head has practically disappeared,.

Michiner places the coin in the period 250-130 BC. In that period, Bukhara was one of the richest cities in the world, as it was strategically placed on the silk route, running from China to the Mediterranean. It was a market town, a serail, a centre of many religions, art and learning. Your coin would typically have sustained caravan crews or the inhabitants, buying daily necessities.

As the locals would have been a mix of Macedonians, Scythians and Parthians, there is a chance that the archer, originally on foot, had become a horseman (the half-moon shape below the archer's middle): Macedonians and Parthians were typically swordsmen, but Scythians preferred the bow and arrow and they were legendary horsemen.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Bukhara Obol
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 06:27:35 PM »
For some bit less abstracted types see this thread.