Author Topic: UK commemorative themes for 2017  (Read 5792 times)

Offline eurocoin

• Thread engineer
  • Honorary Member
Re: UK commemorative themes for 2017
« Reply #105 on: August 23, 2017, 06:33:53 PM »
Production figures of the 2017-dated coins that are being minted for circulation. Information exclusive to World of Coins Forum. Special thanks to The Royal Mint.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 06:56:52 PM by eurocoin »

Offline eurocoin

• Thread engineer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2017, 10:28:34 AM »
For some unknown reason The Royal Mint is recently, without any prior notice, taking an additional 1 pound per ordered product out of the bank accounts of its customers.

Apparently they were testing for this significant change of their T&C that will come into force tomorrow: http://content.royalmint.com/?dHDsrwxX6TOou87EOJm2IRNHRlx9tSNed
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 10:46:57 AM by eurocoin »

Offline eurocoin

• Thread engineer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #107 on: August 31, 2017, 11:06:53 AM »
Nothing from The Royal Mint on the 20th anniversary of the death of Princess Diana..

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #108 on: August 31, 2017, 12:09:15 PM »
Nothing from The Royal Mint on the 20th anniversary of the death of Princess Diana..

Not surprising, really. She was a thorn in the side of the royal family. But you can at least revisit this topic:

Diana memorial proto-design by David Cornell

Conspiracy theories still abound. She had gone semi-political in campaigning against landmines. She was also in an affair with a Muslim, and some thought she was about to take up the cause of the Palestinians. That might not have endeared her to "the Deep State", or to the CIA, MI5 or Mossad. As for that car crash, there is still talk of a mysterious white Fiat Uno witnessed at the scene, which has never been traced. And it was a hired car. There are those who say that, ahem, the security services could control cars remotely, even at that early date. Well, I just don't know. Certainly I can't believe that any of the royal family (e.g. Prince Philip) intended to murder Diana, as some have suggested. Is it possible that elements of the security services can sometimes get out of hand and act on their own? Well, they did in Northern Ireland in the 1970s and 1980s, colluding with extremist Protestants. As for Diana, well, I just don't know.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #109 on: August 31, 2017, 03:31:53 PM »
In all modesty, I think I was of more importance to a number of secret services than Diana ever could have been, given her political weight and utter lack of general gravitas. Apart from an obviously mad car driver in central Geneva who wanted to express his frustration with traffic lights by showing off the top speed of his expensive racemobile, nobody ever tried to murder me. I feel hurt and overlooked. ;)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #110 on: August 31, 2017, 04:53:09 PM »
In some ways, I'm still surprised they did the Diana memorial coin in 1999.  Wasn't it issued because it had been suggested to the memorial fund, or something like that?  And because of the public reaction to Diana's death, they felt they had to.  I would never have expected them to mark any anniversaries of her death, not on the UK coins anyway.

If they couldn't even do a memorial coin for Princess Margaret (the Queen's own sister, no less) in 2002, then any further UK coins for Diana might have seemed inappropriate.  I think there were some commemorative coins in 2002, themed "Diana: The Work Continues" but these weren't for the UK itself.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #111 on: August 31, 2017, 07:25:18 PM »
Wasn't it issued because it had been suggested to the memorial fund, or something like that?  And because of the public reaction to Diana's death, they felt they had to.

My sister bought the commemorative, but she has had no interest in coins before or since. David Cornell did produce a superb portrait, though. Anything less masterful might not have been so popular.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #112 on: August 31, 2017, 07:27:37 PM »
If they couldn't even do a memorial coin for Princess Margaret (the Queen's own sister, no less) in 2002

Margaret was a dissolute woman and an embarrassment to the royal family. She once refused to inspect some troops whose honorary head she was, because it was drizzling, despite being asked three times.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW DE EU
« Reply #113 on: September 03, 2017, 09:31:56 PM »

But as almost usual, the Cook Islands can help out. ;)
http://www.coin-invest.li/coins/in-memory-of-princess-diana/

Christian

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS UK
« Reply #114 on: September 03, 2017, 10:01:53 PM »
Don't remember Diana having a squint....
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
UK commemorative themes for 2017
« Reply #115 on: September 04, 2017, 04:02:07 PM »
Prince William and Kate Middleton are expecting a third child as per Royal Palace's latest annoucement...Expect one more coin next year. :D

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline eurocoin

• Thread engineer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #116 on: September 12, 2017, 01:46:53 PM »

Uk Christmas 5 pounds coin available for sale from October 6.

Offline eurocoin

• Thread engineer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #117 on: September 27, 2017, 01:50:27 PM »
I have the great honour to now confirm that there will be another 4 Beatrix Potter 50p coins next year.

Offline eurocoin

• Thread engineer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #118 on: October 01, 2017, 11:57:10 AM »
The UK platinum wedding anniversary 5 pound coin, to be unveiled and released soon, now on WoC  ;)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #119 on: October 01, 2017, 11:58:34 AM »
Do we know the designer yet?