login

Author Topic: UK commemorative themes for 2017  (Read 6134 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: UK commemorative themes for 2017
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2017, 06:30:43 PM »
Thanks for patronising me, "dude", but eurocoin was referring to Wales so it would be "centres".  I just don't like Americanisms being used out of context.  Used by an American describing something American is absolutely fine.  Guessing it was just a typo.

eurocoin and chrisild are not British, so they are entitled to use whichever spelling system they please. An American recently asked me the way to the "rail station". I might have told him there are no rail stations in London, but from his point of view there are. The thing is, it's good netiquette not to get hung up on spelling on an international forum. A spelling is just a consensus piece of scribble - don't confuse the sign with the object.  ;)

Furthermore, you may not like Americanisms, but many people don't mind them. I do have my own dislikes, but I don't expect everybody to share them.

I don't think it was at all unreasonable not to know what they are.

You are quite right. I have made a career on this forum out of writing about things I didn't use to know about. When I asked eurocoin about cuckoo clocks recently, he amused me by admitting he didn't know what they were, then proclaiming them to be disgusting.  :D

Thanks Andyg for that helpful reply... at least one person wasn't trying to make me look stupid.

But there is no Andyg - only an andyg. Another reason not to get hung up on spelling. And nobody was trying to make you look stupid. Chrisild's smiley and his "dude" were meant to signal his light-hearted tone. Anyway, no harm done. Let's resume normal service.  :)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 09:51:19 PM by <k> »

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2017, 10:14:16 PM »
Given that no link or quotation was provided I took it that it was the Royal Mint itself calling them "centers" :-\
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2017, 12:34:40 AM »
Aside from andyg, I think I'm just going to have to agree to disagree on this issue, and that's absolutely fine.

Also worth noting that in the link andyg provided, "cash centres" is not in title case.  This suggests this isn't their actual name, it's merely what the Mint is telling us that they are called.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2017, 02:29:44 PM »
As I wrote before, the BoE does use the term (see the link in my previous post), so it may well be that the Royal Mint adopted it, officially or not. As for which spelling varieties are used here, well, sometimes I forget that irony should be used sparsely or carefully in forums, especially when people with different primary languages are involved. Sorry about that.

Christian

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2017, 06:23:09 PM »
The Royal Mint has started a survey to ask collectors which further Beatrix Potter characters they would like to see featured on coins..  :anger: :anger:

To make it even more ridiculous, they also ask if collectors would like to see the same characters that were already featured on coins, to be featured once more on new coins (Peter Rabbit has already been featured on 2 coins).

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2017, 09:54:40 PM »
The Royal Mint is going to issue a commemorative 5 pounds coins for the 70 years of service of Prince Philip. Design as per below:

Furthermore the first ever Piedfort of a Gold Proof Sovereign sold out very fast and has recently extremely increased in price, which is unprecedented for such bullion coin.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 07:03:25 AM by eurocoin »

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2017, 10:08:35 PM »

H.P. - the initials of Humphrey Paget.

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2017, 10:37:35 PM »
The Royal Mint is going to issue a commemorative 5 pounds coins for the 70 years of service of Prince Charles. Design as per below:

Furthermore the first ever Piedfort of a Gold Proof Sovereign sold out very fast and has recently extremely increased in price, which is unprecedented for such bullion coin.

Prince Philip, not Charles.

Offline Alan71

• Meritorious Member
  • Derby, UK
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2017, 11:48:22 PM »
Is it bad that my first reaction when I saw news of this coin on Facebook was, "he's not dead yet!"?  Sadly I don't think it will be too long before there's a memorial coin...

This coin is the fourth UK commemorative Crown-sized coin that he's appeared on (though two of those were shared with his wife on wedding anniversary coins - I'm guessing they're holding fire on one for the 70th anniversary this year in case he doesn't make it to November).  The inevitable memorial coin will be the fifth.  The Queen Mother only ever had four.

Prince Charles visited the Royal Mint today and struck one of these coins.  The Mint confirmed they are working on a design for his 70th birthday next year which, unlike that of the Duke of Edinburgh, will be a contemporary image (in other words, he'll look older than his father does on this coin!)

Prince Charles strikes Duke of Edinburgh commemorative coin
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-40573698

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 12:02:49 AM by Alan71 »

Offline africancoins

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2017, 12:32:37 AM »
This piece also seems to have that same portrait...

Thanks Mr Paul Baker

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2017, 07:04:43 AM »
Prince Philip, not Charles.

Corrected, thanks for pointing out. I was probably still thinking about Charles as he yesterday visited The Royal Mint.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #86 on: July 20, 2017, 11:35:21 AM »
Along with the commemorative 50p Beatrix Potter coins, Royal Mint had also issued coin collector album made exclusively for these coins. The album was initially priced at £7.5. A collector complained to RM on Twitter that the quality of the album is not very good and it's not worth £7.5. After this complaint, RM has decided to cut the price and now it's available for £5.

The story is not over yet. After RM reduced the price of album, someone complained that those who bought it for £7.5 should receive reimbursement of £2.5 from RM. RM is now considering this and people who bought the folder for £7.5 will be contacted by RM soon. :D

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #87 on: July 20, 2017, 12:13:52 PM »
Over the course of the past few days The Royal Mint has received a very large amount of complaints about the folder for the 2017 Beatrix Potter coins which was of a lower quality than the one they released last year for the 2016 dated coins in the series. On top of that the 2017 folder was more expensive than the one of 2016. This morning customer services staff was informed that all customers who have bought a folder for the 2017 dated Beatrix Potter coins will be reimbursed 2.50 pounds within 29 days. The folder for the 2017 Beatrix Potter coins is now available at The Royal Mint for 5 pounds instead of 7.50 pounds.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #88 on: July 21, 2017, 10:47:08 PM »
Again trouble at The Royal Mint as there was found a mistake in the certificate of authenticity of the gold sovereign. Instead of BU, the certificate mentions the coin is of Proof quality. The Royal Mint has written a letter to all people who have ordered the coin to inform them they should send their certificate back in order to get a new one (with the same number).

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2017, 12:08:43 PM »
Later this year the UK is going to issue a copper-nickel 5 pounds coin for Christmas. The UK Christmas coin of this year will depict a decorated Christmas tree. Last year The Royal Mint issued a silver 20 pounds coin for Christmas which featured a nativity scene.