login

Author Topic: UK commemorative themes for 2017  (Read 2597 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: UK commemorative themes for 2017
« Reply #75 on: June 17, 2017, 06:30:43 PM »
Thanks for patronising me, "dude", but eurocoin was referring to Wales so it would be "centres".  I just don't like Americanisms being used out of context.  Used by an American describing something American is absolutely fine.  Guessing it was just a typo.

eurocoin and chrisild are not British, so they are entitled to use whichever spelling system they please. An American recently asked me the way to the "rail station". I might have told him there are no rail stations in London, but from his point of view there are. The thing is, it's good netiquette not to get hung up on spelling on an international forum. A spelling is just a consensus piece of scribble - don't confuse the sign with the object.  ;)

Furthermore, you may not like Americanisms, but many people don't mind them. I do have my own dislikes, but I don't expect everybody to share them.

I don't think it was at all unreasonable not to know what they are.

You are quite right. I have made a career on this forum out of writing about things I didn't use to know about. When I asked eurocoin about cuckoo clocks recently, he amused me by admitting he didn't know what they were, then proclaiming them to be disgusting.  :D

Thanks Andyg for that helpful reply... at least one person wasn't trying to make me look stupid.

But there is no Andyg - only an andyg. Another reason not to get hung up on spelling. And nobody was trying to make you look stupid. Chrisild's smiley and his "dude" were meant to signal his light-hearted tone. Anyway, no harm done. Let's resume normal service.  :)

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 09:51:19 PM by <k> »

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS ˇ UK
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2017, 10:14:16 PM »
Given that no link or quotation was provided I took it that it was the Royal Mint itself calling them "centers" :-\
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Alan71

• Derby, UK
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2017, 12:34:40 AM »
Aside from andyg, I think I'm just going to have to agree to disagree on this issue, and that's absolutely fine.

Also worth noting that in the link andyg provided, "cash centres" is not in title case.  This suggests this isn't their actual name, it's merely what the Mint is telling us that they are called.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW ˇ DE ˇ EU
« Reply #78 on: June 18, 2017, 02:29:44 PM »
As I wrote before, the BoE does use the term (see the link in my previous post), so it may well be that the Royal Mint adopted it, officially or not. As for which spelling varieties are used here, well, sometimes I forget that irony should be used sparsely or carefully in forums, especially when people with different primary languages are involved. Sorry about that.

Christian