login

Author Topic: Thailand: Portrait of new king on circulating coins  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
Re: Thailand: Portrait of new king on circulating coins
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2018, 05:09:21 PM »
Apparently, the huge work got split in to three parts and went to Korea, Paris and the Royal mints.

However, there are problems with coronation and there are strong rumours the the King Rama X may not ascend the throne or may abdicate ( in whose favour?).

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2018, 06:51:59 PM »
As far as I know there is no huge work as coins with portrait of King Bhumibol remain legal tender.

What about the Thai Royal Mint? Surely they are minting too. And isn't Korea only providing blanks?

I have not heard anything about problems around the coronation nor was I in a quick search able to find any news articles about such thing. I have good sources there who for example provided me the news that the King had passed away before any of the (local) press agencies knew about it and they didn't tell anything either so I am quite surprised to read this.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2018, 07:16:40 PM »
King Rama IX coins not only remain legal but also continued to be minted in 2017 too. This is against the norms.

Perhaps, there are some changes too involved though not yet known.

Why there was such a noise when the image of Rama 10 leaked out in press?

Why was Korea given work to supply the blanks only?
When the Royal mint got the work, they announced that it was their biggest work for many years.
Paris mint was already overloaded with Saudi Arabia work when they got this work and refused to adhere to initial target.

The coronation date was first fixed for 29th December. Why was it postponed?

There is more than what meets the eye.
I was personally in Bangkok for three days in last week of December, 2017.
Officially, every one is tight lipped about Royalty.

Offline quaziright

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 07:34:13 PM »
If I’m not mistaken, thais in general do not talk about the monarchy in speculative ways. Moreover, lésé majesté laws can result in prison time. In these uncertain situations, I wouldn’t expect thais to act any other way than remain tight lipped.
I’m not sure how your three days in Bangkok is relevant though, unless you were on some sort of diplomatic or reconnaissance mission? I spent a week there a couple years ago; didn’t learn any more about backroom political happenings while there than sitting here in Canada lol. But then again I did learn a lot about Bangkok nightlife lol

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2018, 07:45:08 PM »
If I’m not mistaken, thais in general do not talk about the monarchy in speculative ways. Moreover, lésé majesté laws can result in prison time. In these uncertain situations, I wouldn’t expect thais to act any other way than remain tight lipped.
I’m not sure how your three days in Bangkok is relevant though, unless you were on some sort of diplomatic or reconnaissance mission?

I was on a pure sightseeing and numismatic research work. Met quite a few collectors and dealers and general talk was about the new coins only. The date of coronation and associated issue of general circulation series as well as commemorative coins were discussed. It has nothing to do with internal matters of Royal family.

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2018, 05:22:40 PM »
What about the Thai Royal Mint? Surely they are minting too. And isn't Korea only providing blanks?

Here is the work awarded news for the Royal mint.