News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Vatican City- 1985- PreEuro/Lira - set

Started by RG, October 12, 2016, 11:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RG

Here's the set from my collection.

Bimat

Very nice set! :)

How were these pre-euro coin sets made available to collectors? Same system as euro sets (via UFN)? I remember reading somewhere on the forum that one could buy them from post office(s) too...

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

RG

Yes, I believe the same system as euro sets. Also they were available in post offices as souvenirs. .

Figleaf

You remember correctly, Bimat, but that was years ago. I visited the Vatican post office in Rome and saw how you could still buy pre-euro coin year sets, while euro sets were impossible to get. At least in those days, I guess the euro sets were available through the same post office, but they were sold out quickly.

There was and is much more demand for the euro sets. The pre-euro sets appealed mostly to Italian collectors, but the euro sets appeal to collectors in the whole euro area.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Globetrotter

Hi,

I have today 123 coins (no sets, though) from the Vatican and only around 3 from the euro period (found in my pocket change ;D and in the golf club).

Ole

RG

Quote from: Globetrotter on November 17, 2016, 11:46:04 AM
Hi,

I have today 123 coins (no sets, though) from the Vatican and only around 3 from the euro period (found in my pocket change ;D and in the golf club).

Ole
My count is 7 papal states, 154 pre euro (a few sets) and 4 euro coins out of which 2 loose 50 cents,  one coin card and a 2 euro proof set...I am still collecting but not euro sets due to cost factor.

Bimat

I'm bit luckier than you when it comes to euro coinage of Vatican. ;) I have a couple of regular €1 and €2 coins, plus quite a few €2 commemorative coins (including two in proof), plus two or three Phila-Numismatic Covers (PNCs) containing €2 commemorative coin(s) with the same theme. :) Of course, none of these actually turned up in circulation, had to pay a premium over face value, or even the issue price!

Euro coins of Vatican are not hard to get, if you know the correct place to buy them. Having said that, it's also true that they are not real coins but NCLTs. Up to you to decide whether to get them or not!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

RG

Somehow I have not been attracted to any of the Euro coins for that matter, I don't know the reason. I used to enthusiastically collect Euros, but suddenly I lost my interest and stopped altogether.
I have been attracted to pre euro Vatican coins, mainly because of my attraction towards Pope John Paul II. Even now, if i see a Vatican pre euro coin other than Pope John Paul II, I let it go if I got another priority. Hoping one day I will get most of the pre euro Lira coins of Vatican which is my dream. But Sede Vacante coins have been the most difficult to get. I still only have two. :)

Bimat

Quote from: rameshgshenoy78 on November 17, 2016, 04:57:45 PM
Somehow I have not been attracted to any of the Euro coins for that matter, I don't know the reason. I used to enthusiastically collect Euros, but suddenly I lost my interest and stopped altogether.
I have been attracted to pre euro Vatican coins, mainly because of my attraction towards Pope John Paul II. Even now, if i see a Vatican pre euro coin other than Pope John Paul II, I let it go if I got another priority. Hoping one day I will get most of the pre euro Lira coins of Vatican which is my dream. But Sede Vacante coins have been the most difficult to get. I still only have two. :)

Sede Vacante...Hmm. I too keenly look for Sede Vacante coins. I have for following Sede Vacante coins in my collection:

1963 (Silver), 1978 (Silver), 2013 (Bimetallic €2 in blister) and 2013 (PNC with €2 Sede Vacante coin). Getting the 2005 Sede Vacante set is my dream, but it's a financial challenge. ;)

Aditya