Author Topic: Royal Mint of Belgium to close  (Read 1734 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW ˇ DE ˇ EU
Re: Royal Mint of Belgium to close
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 04:10:48 PM »
Since those British lawyers have apparently not attacked the mints in CA (Royal Canadian Mint) and DK (Royal Danish Mint) so far, the term "Royal Belgian Mint" should work. The "mint" in Copenhagen even uses royalmint.dk as its domain name. Tsk tsk, how dare they. ;)

Christian

Offline onecenter

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 06:20:09 PM »
Perhaps this trademarking and naming issue will go away after the United Kingdom withdraws from the European Union.
Mark

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 09:12:15 PM »
I think "Royal Navy" is much too close to "Koninklijke Marine" and "Kungliga flottan" and I bet the Royal Navy uses an anchor and a crown in its logo also. Make them pay for such abuses!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 09:18:35 PM »
I do often wonder whether everybody here knows what I mean when I write "the Royal Mint", so I often add "(UK)". It seems there is no such problem when I write about "the Queen". When I was in Germany, I noticed people just used the English word for her, saying "die Queen" instead of the expected "die Königin".

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW ˇ DE ˇ EU
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 06:41:42 PM »
Seems that yesterday (Monday 23 October) was the last coin production day at the Royal Mint of Belgium. Just saw an article in the German language Belgian newspaper Grenz-Echo about this: http://www.grenzecho.net/region/inland/das-ende-einer-epoche-koenigliche-muenze-stoppt-produktion (unfortunately for subscribers only, but the first few lines are free)

And what did they make on that last day, according to the text? (Ignore the image caption.) 1 cent coins. ;D

Edit - Here is a "full text" article in Dutch:
http://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20171022_03146696

Christian

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2017, 08:36:52 PM »
It is only now I have read the article that I realized they in one of the last sentences refer to something I wrote on here and on Numisforum. Interesting as apparently there are still people who like the things I write.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2017, 10:56:44 PM »
Mintmaster Ingrid van Herzele of the Royal Mint of Belgium just informed me that the only mintmaster mark depicted on the Belgian coins will remain that of the Belgian mintmaster, even although production will happen at another mint. She also informed me that once a producer has been chosen, they will talk about which mintmark(s) will be on the Belgian coins.