Author Topic: Lion on a Chain  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Lion on a Chain
« on: September 27, 2016, 01:05:59 AM »
This is a curious Qarakhanid type that must have been made for a special occasion, because of its strong symbolic meaning. A fals that is dated 494 AH (I think) and minted in Bokhara, or so I was told. A chained lion, or have the chains been broken? Who can tell?
Diameter 25 mm, weight 3,47 gr.
-- Paul

« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 03:15:26 PM by THCoins »

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
Re: Lion on a Chain
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 01:24:22 AM »
Lovely piece, I've never seen that type before, and yours is much nicer than the only one on Zeno (112001, which is supposed to be dated 496 H). The moths in Bokhara must have very strong teeth by the look of the flan though ;D

Alan

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 09:20:04 AM »
Great, almost modern design ! Lovely piece.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 09:51:56 AM »
While within the Qarakhanid realm, Bukhara, like Samarqand was actually governed by local families. This may well be an attempt of a local family to get something of itself on a coin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2016, 10:14:45 AM »
Thanks for your remarks! I don't have Kochnev (don't know how to find that book!), but Zeno mentions Kochnev #1346. Does that description mention anything of its significance, may I ask?
-- Paul

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016, 11:24:34 AM »
Just a thought: Lion in Turkic is Arslan. And there were several Qarakhanid rulers with that name. So could be a play on names ?

Offline Manzikert

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2016, 01:31:33 PM »
Paul

Unfortunately Kochnev's work is in three issues of a Russian journal (the details are at the top of the Qarakhanid page on Zeno). There are a few photocopies round I believe, but haven't been able to find one, and the only time I have seen the journal issues available it was in an auction I only found out about after it was over. Even if I did find them they are all in Russian and unillustrated so I'd probably not be able to make much sense of them anyway!

Alan

Offline toofast

• Numismatics of Iran and Turkestan
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2016, 03:31:01 PM »
There are no sufficient reasons this big cat to be a lion. It could be a lion, a tiger or even a snow leopard.

Just a thought: Lion in Turkic is Arslan. And there were several Qarakhanid rulers with that name. So could be a play on names ?

There are no Qarakhanid rulers with such name. There are rulers with titles including 'Arslan'. For example, Arslan-khan or Arslan-ilek.
Moreover, this fals carries 'Tabgach-khan Jibril'. 'Tabgach-khan' means something like 'Great and ancient khan'.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2016, 03:45:23 PM »
There are no sufficient reasons this big cat to be a lion. It could be a lion, a tiger or even a snow leopard.

In fact, the man who sold it to me called it a dog. But what matters is that it is a martial animal with (broken?) chains. A ruler who was freed, I would say.
-- Paul

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2016, 04:31:09 PM »
The elongated S shape of the tail is traditional for lions on central Asian coins. Not that it matters much...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2016, 05:20:54 PM »
There are no Qarakhanid rulers with such name
Thanks for the correction, i indeed meant title.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2016, 12:37:09 AM »
Finally bought this book: Boris Kochnev, Numismatic History of the Qarakhanid Kaganate (991-1209). I can read Russian letters (thanks to collecting World Coins when I was young), I have a dictionary and Google Translate. But it is a difficult book, without pictures. It is a Part One according to the title page. Are there any more volumes?
-- Paul

Offline toofast

• Numismatics of Iran and Turkestan
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2016, 08:14:20 AM »
Are there any more volumes?

No. Kochnev died of cancer soon after he had finished this book.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2018, 12:05:44 PM »
On Zeno 99384 I find the following comment as to the historic situation:

'In 492 the Eastern Qarakhanid ruler of Balasaghun and Taraz,Jabra`il bin `Umar,
invaded Mawarannahr,captured Samarqand and Bukhara and usurped the throne of the Western Qarakhanids.In 495 he invaded the dominions of the Great Seljuqs,captured Tirmidh but soon after that was ambushed and killed by Sanjar,the Seljuq ruler of Eastern Khurasan(Pritsak,1953).'

-- Paul