Qarakhanid fals with intricate designs

Started by Pellinore, September 26, 2016, 03:44:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pellinore

Here's another Qarakhanid (or Karakhanid) fals of a model I didn't know before. It's not on Zeno. The seller identified it as a coin from Ilak, a region on right side of the Syr Darja, directly south from Shash.
It's not very clear, and besides the Kufic script is extraordinarily decorative. But maybe some of you can tell me more about it: mint or year, and the name of the emir.
Diameter 26,5 mm, weight 2,49 gr. (feels thin and light compared to other fulus, for instance this one of the same diameter).
-- Paul

THCoins

Beautifull coin ! The elements in the centre of your right picture are largely formed by Arab words wittten in a very ornamental fashion (on top Allah/Muhammad ?). Alas, the downside of being pictorially interesting is that the text becones very hard to read.
Compare with this one, not identical, but comes very close i think.

toofast

It is a Qarakhanid fals minted in Ilaq. Date is not really clear but should be 404 or 405AH. Since this type is well-known: Kochnev #341.
There is a laqab 'Sana ad-Dawla' in the margin of the reverse referred to Arslan-Ilek Muhammad b. Ali.
The name 'Irtash' is in the center of the obverse. He is probably not even a Qarakhanid since the are no marks that can include him in the Qarakhanid hierarchy.

Manzikert

I have 3 of these, all supposedly 405 H from Ilaq, Kochnev 341 as toofast says (I wish I could get hold of Kochnev's articles)

1. 2.90 gm, 26 mm
2. 2.55 gm, 26 mm
3. 2.13 gm, 25 mm

Alan

Pellinore

Thanks! I have deep respect for your knowledge, toofast! And World of Coins surely has the greatest density of Qarakhanid coin lovers of all coin forums.
-- Paul

Pellinore

I now have also 4 of these coins, fulus from Ilak, 404 or 405 AH. There are some little differences, can you comment on them?

Pellinore

The higher two coins have a word that looks like a swan in the upper picture. The lower two coins have an unclear little word.

In the lower picture, the central element is closed with an intricate knot at the top two coins. In the lower coins, this is done with a little sun.

-- Paul

toofast

Quote from: Pellinore on December 05, 2017, 11:43:10 PM
The higher two coins have a word that looks like a swan in the upper picture. The lower two coins have an unclear little word.

It is just a part ('سو') of the word 'rasul' ('رسول').

Quote from: Pellinore on December 05, 2017, 11:43:10 PM
In the lower picture, the central element is closed with an intricate knot at the top two coins. In the lower coins, this is done with a little sun.

It is the name 'Irtash' ('ارتاش').

--Dmitry

Pellinore

Thanks! Finally I have my Kochnev (it's Nr. 341). I'm using Google Translate with the camera to help me understanding the Russian text.
-- Paul

Figleaf

The ticket says Qarakhanid fals, 405AH, Kochnev 341 6279 B. Can this be translated into a ruler and a mint?

Increased contrast of the pictures to make the text better readable, but changing the colour in that process. Advance apologies if I have them upside down.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

toofast

Ilaq, 404AH. Muhammad b. Ali Sana ad-Dawla Ilek (reverse margin) + Irtash (obverse center).

Figleaf

Great stuff, toofast! I don't know how you do it, but it feels sooo good. Thank you!

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Pellinore

Thank you! And what a great design, this 1004 year-old coin. Might win the world contest of 1014 AD.
— Paul