News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

A difficult coin to find.

Started by tonyclayton, July 07, 2009, 09:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonyclayton

Elsewhere there is a thread on unusual denominations.  As far as Canada is concerned 20 cents is certainly unusual.  They were issued for one year only by the Province of Canada in 1858.  Unlike later issues of the 25 cents the Queen is uncrowned.

Despite a mintage of 730,392 many were withdrawn and melted down, making this a quite elusive coin which I bought in London some years ago.  I have yet to see a better one in a dealer's stock.

Figleaf

The high point on the portrait sid is the braid. Yours seems to be missing a smal portion only. I think the missing hair at the back of the head is the result of a weak strike, rather than wear.

As a convinced decimalist ;), I would have thought a 20 cent coin would have been more logical. However, logic worked in a different way. Your coin was not issued by Canada as we know it today, but by the Province of Canada consisting of the merged territories of Upper Canada (Quebec), Lower Canada (Ontario) and Nova Scotia. In this constellation, Upper Canada dominated and 20 cent fit fine in the sous system (at the current rate of 5 dollars to the sovereign, a sous would be 0.96 cents and probably went for a cent) and in the decimal system that Canada adopted in 1859.

In the period 1867-1871, Canada's dollar was linked to the US dollar through gold coins, so the coins were equal in value to US coins. That's why logic demanded that they used a 25 cent coin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

BC Numismatics

Quote from: tonyclayton on July 07, 2009, 09:49:26 PM
Elsewhere there is a thread on unusual denominations.  As far as Canada is concerned 20 cents is certainly unusual.  They were issued for one year only by the Province of Canada in 1858.  Unlike later issues of the 25 cents the Queen is uncrowned.

Despite a mintage of 730,392 many were withdrawn and melted down, making this a quite elusive coin which I bought in London some years ago.  I have yet to see a better one in a dealer's stock.

Tony,
  The whole 1858 coin series is very difficult to find,especially the 20c. coin,which still eludes me.I have a holed example of the 1858 10c. coin in my collection.

Canada was not the only country in British North America to issue 20c. coins.In addition to Newfoundland,New Brunswick also had 20c. coins.I picked up a New Brunswick 1862 20c. coin a few years ago for a pretty cheap price.

Aidan.