Author Topic: SCWC Issues!!  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
SCWC Issues!!
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2016, 02:43:16 PM »
George Cuhaj is no longer the editor of SCWC.
Tracy Schmidt is now the editor of the same.

Thanks, wasn't aware of this.

When I was still able to contribute to SCWC, the major reason for price movements were USD movements. At introduction, the euro was $1.17. Its low point was $0.85. Its high point was $1.60. Its present value is $1.12. You can easily imagine how current USD strength has brought catalogue quotes down. That's the price you pay for having dollar quotes for stuff traded mainly elsewhere.

That doesn't explain catalog price of $350 for a coin, which costs $1500+ in the market. (This mistake was rectified in latest edition after I pointed it out on the forum). Something is definitely not right with their software!!!

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
Re: SCWC Issues!!
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2016, 04:44:53 PM »
The only one I am interested in this year is the 2000-Present edition. I assume the errors discussed are in other years?
Dale

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
SCWC Issues!!
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2016, 04:48:33 PM »
The only one I am interested in this year is the 2000-Present edition. I assume the errors discussed are in other years?
Dale

There are many errors in 2000-present edition too. :(

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Kopper Ken

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2016, 03:40:57 AM »
Is there a direct order site for the Schon volumes?  My German isn't that great and I'm having trouble with my translator. :'(

I looked at a sample country, South Africa (Suid Afrika) and was impressed.  Rather than have each date listed, the type is listed with a general value and then if there are specific years with higher valuations, these are then listed separately.  Of course then you lose the mintage figures.  SCWC might be good for that. ::)

KK

Offline bgriff99

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2016, 04:09:35 AM »
Decades ago I was a contributor for Chinese cash.     Back when one's coins had to be sent to be photographed.   They were none too speedy about getting it done (over 2 years they held my best coins, until badgered to return them).    Then they lost loads of corrections and date fixes, which they asked for.    Then they loaded the catalog up with ridiculous fakes at high prices.     Departure of Colin Bruce more or less is when things started to decline.     

Offline andyg

• Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • DERBYS · UK
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2016, 10:38:25 PM »
Globetrotter was telling me that not only has George retired but also Tom Michael is no longer with Krause publications.

When we asked Globetrotter who was in charge of the coin books now, the answer was "nobody really".  Things are not looking good.
always willing to trade modern UK coins for modern coins from elsewhere....

Offline Pabitra

• Honorary Member
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 06:25:25 AM »
George left Krause in 2015 but after sending 2016 edition to the printers.
2017 edition was done by Tom Michael.
The work of Krause was handled for some period by Maggie Judkins.
Currently, that work is being handled by Tracy Scmidt.

Offline natko

• Meritorious Member
  • Split, Croatia
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2017, 02:53:57 PM »
I also contributed directly with some info on Croatian coins, most of which they eventually did include a couple of years later.
Like 1 kuna 1941 change from rare to unique (which says now "possibly unique", fine), separation of 1 kuna 1994 with error inscription, all the mintages and mintage and finesses of gold and silver 1993 circulation series which were gifts to high officials. I backed up my claims with excerpts from laws and central bank official website.

However, they did not for instance correct obvious errors of year listings, Croatian inscription is always on odd dates, Latin on even, no exclusions.

Later on they added some weird things like nonexistant KM#24a with reported mintage of 500 and messed up a WWII pattern with circulation piece. Pattern section is absolute mess.

Anyhow, we have here on forums contributing topic which nobody from the SCWC seem to even care about.

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2017, 03:16:36 PM »
Standard Catalog of World Coins is a dead catalog, only being kept alive by the collectors who fear change.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2017, 03:57:02 PM »
It does seem to have gotten sicker but certainly not yet dead. It still has a widespread distribution.

The catalog's first edition was in 1972. In spite of current international usage, it started as a catalog created in the USA mainly for US collectors of Non-USA coins.
I have used it for many years and think it still a viable catalog although I did not buy any of the current editions due to the complaints about the proliferation of errors and inaccuracies.

The main thing I dislike about the catalog is the proliferation of types for minor variations. In general I believe it shouldn't be a new type unless I can see the difference between two coins from 2 meters and what I can see from 2 meters gets less each year  ;D

It is getting pretty bad though when a collector such as myself with little to no expertise in any particular area can discover errors.
And I have. Maybe I will get the newest 2001-present sometime this year...or not.

Dale

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2017, 06:00:28 PM »
Was in contact with Tom Michael today. He wrote:

I am working on the 45th edition of the 1901-2000 SCWC right now and will move on to the 12th edition 2001-Date SCWC next week.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline bgriff99

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2017, 07:16:37 PM »
You would think that for older coins, all they would have to do is keep an eye on prices.   What I have seen is distributers of fakes get themselves on board as contributors, then get their new fantasy creations inserted with very high prices.   

Offline FosseWay

• Honorary Member
  • Göteborg, Sverige
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2017, 07:30:08 PM »
Standard Catalog of World Coins is a dead catalog, only being kept alive by the collectors who fear change.

AFAIK there is no obvious whole-world alternative that gives prices for individual dates. Until there is a competitor, SCWC will limp along, and moreover there will be little or no impetus to improve matters.

Personally what I dislike most about the way SCWC has gone is all the holes in coverage in 21st century coins. This is not a new problem; the rot set in around 2000.

I would also like to see a bit of flexibility/common sense around the divisions into centuries. 1900 as a cut-off date is plain daft for any British Empire coin, as Queen Victoria died in 1901 and there was a major type change at the end of that year. As a result you get one coin out of a series that could span 64 previous years marooned in the 20th century volume. Ideally I would like some overlap, so that types that begin in one century and end in the next feature in both volumes.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2017, 08:21:22 PM »
Those orphaned coin listing bother me too. I don't know as there is any good way to solve that issue.

Dale

..... As a result you get one coin out of a series that could span 64 previous years marooned in the 20th century volume.

Offline Globetrotter

• Honorary Member
  • As my whimsy takes me....
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2017, 08:55:22 PM »
Hi,

the overlap is not a problem for me, since I have the volumes  (pdf) open at the same time, so I can go to and from as needed.

When I send images and data to Tom, I hardly ever get a feed-back, and honestly I'm too lazy to check if they have been taken into account in the following edition. I still deliver, though! And hope for the best.....

Numista is an alternative to look up coins, but numista is run and governed by ONE single person, so it's risky. If a bus runs him over, I should think numista is out! Anyway, they don't have prices, but a lot of the variants are documented in the comment fields. Numista of course can NOT give new km#, which is a good thing.

I still support KM, since they have the coins also by year and not only by type like the Weltmuenzenkatalog, but if you only collect types, that's not a problem.

I do collect by years (thanks Fosseway, NOT EARS :'() and mint marks, so Schön would only be a fun-to-have catalog for me. It's not available in pdf, which I respect, but I'll be damned, if I had to take a few kilos of German printed paper along on all my travels.... The language is no problem for me!

Ole
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 01:26:10 AM by Globetrotter »
Ole

If you're interested in coin variants please find some English documentation here:
https://sites.google.com/site/coinvarietiescollection/home
and in French on Michel's site (the presentations are not the same):
http://monnaiesetvarietes.esy.es/