Author Topic: British Love token?  (Read 1184 times)

Offline opgravertje

British Love token?
« on: July 07, 2009, 01:02:35 PM »
Hello,

I recently found this British two pence coin from 1797 with a diameter of 40 mm.
On the Britannia side the letters M and B are stamped in.
On the George III side there also two letters, G and B. But these are made up of little punched dots.

Because both "Initials" end with a B, I was thinking this could be a simple love token.

Does anyone agree?

Regards,

Alex

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
Re: British Love token?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 08:53:44 PM »
FWIW, J. Gavin Scott, in British Countermarks on Copper & Bronze Coins (Spink, London, 1975) lists an MB counterstamp on a halfpenny 1799 (catalog number 123.211) and notes that "this countermark is included, as Christopher Brunel reports that he has seen two examples, presumably from the same punch". He thinks it is a token or a shop ticket.

As the listed piece is not illustrated, I can't guarantee that your MB was made with the same punch. The second set of initials was almost certainly added later, by someone who didn't have letter punches.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline opgravertje

Re: British Love token?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 09:24:13 PM »
Hi Peter,

Thanks for your response. I'll try to find a picture from another coin with this "countermark". But since Christopher Brunel reported only two others that's probably not going to be easy.

Alex