Author Topic: Discussion: Clean the1962 1 naya paise bronze coin  (Read 1226 times)

Offline rajiv

Re: Discussion: Clean the1962 1 naya paise bronze coin
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2017, 03:27:58 PM »
yes sir , i guess it is a  brass coin but  bronze
after around 8 months of olive oil dip  result , the coin is clear now . olive oil worked great on my brass coin

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2017, 04:41:32 PM »
Excellent. The double strike is much more visible.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Discussion: Clean the1962 1 naya paise bronze coin
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2017, 04:55:10 PM »
Very impressive example of double struck coin. Congrats! :)

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline rajiv

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2017, 10:17:22 PM »
Very impressive example of double struck coin. Congrats! :)

Aditya
thanks bimat sir  dheer sir and other senior members  ,  i  have learned a lot in past few months from this forum due to guidance from the seniors .

Offline rajiv

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2017, 09:25:17 PM »
olive oil worked great for my bronze half pice too

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 01:57:17 AM »
Olive oil will solve dirt, so you were lucky that the black spot turned out to be dirt. You could have washed it in soapy water also. Soap solves fat and water solves dirt. In general, there is no cure for all coin ills, but water, soap and olive oil treatments do not attack metal, if the coin is neutralised (washed with clean water) and dried afterwards. If it doesn't help, it doesn't hurt either.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline rajiv

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2017, 08:01:31 AM »
Olive oil will solve dirt, so you were lucky that the black spot turned out to be dirt. You could have washed it in soapy water also. Soap solves fat and water solves dirt. In general, there is no cure for all coin ills, but water, soap and olive oil treatments do not attack metal, if the coin is neutralised (washed with clean water) and dried afterwards. If it doesn't help, it doesn't hurt either.

Peter
oh i see , i thought it was PVC green patina . one thing i want to  ask sir , when i take out the coin , only warm water shall be used to clean it further or little bit of    liquid soap shall also be added  before preserving it

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2017, 12:41:50 PM »
PVC damage is easy to recognise by its bad smell (pecunia non olet disproved.) It spreads regularly over the whole coin, raised parts first. It is best removed with a chemical cleaner such as acetone.

Washing with soap does no harm if the coin is neutralised and dried afterwards. I neutralise coins with water only. I am no chemist. I am not aware of any long term effect of soap on metal, but why run the risk? Water will have a long term effect on metal, so the coin should be dried well after neutralising. If you want to conserve your coin after cleaning, Bruce61813, who is a real expert, recommends Renaissance wax (Renwax.)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.