Discussion: Clean the1962 1 naya paise bronze coin

Started by rajiv, September 13, 2016, 07:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rajiv

hello dheer sir , i also have this 1962 coin . but it is very dirty now , how to clean this old coin . have any tips as i dont know the metal too 

dheer

This is a pretty common coin. You can get a good grade easily.

You can try putting this in ketchup for 20 mins.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

capnbirdseye

The coin has added interetst as it appears to be slightly double struck ?
Vic

Figleaf

I suspect your coin is nickel-brass, rather than bronze. Ketchup is highly acidic. It will eat into the metal. If you need to use acid, use diluted lemon or lime juice. Its acidity can be controlled and the coin remains visible.

However, acid may not be necessary. Try washing it vigorously is soapy water (it is OK to put it in a pocket of e.g. trousers, kept in place with a safety pin and wash it in a washing machine with the clothing. This should dissolve fatty substances and make the dirt softer. Dry well, preferably in sunshine. Use a wooden toothpick on stubborn dirt e.g. in or between letters and numbers. You can repeat this until either you are happy or washing is no longer effective. In the latter case, use a soft eraser to rub the coin. If you rub too long, the coin will get an unnatural, pale yellow shine. You can darken it by keeping it in olive oil for a few weeks. Rinse and dry well when you are happy. It should look yellow to dark yellow. Remember that cleaning will at best not increase wear, but if it is overdone, it may make your coin more worn.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Kopper Ken

Try leaving it in virgin olive oil for an extended period of time.  Definitely some doubling.  Worth a try.

KK :like:

rajiv

thanks all for the advise . they say it is safe to put the coin in olive oil so i will follow the suit .

rajiv

Quote from: Kopper Ken on September 14, 2016, 01:14:38 AM
Try leaving it in virgin olive oil for an extended period of time.  Definitely some doubling.  Worth a try.

KK :like:
yes sir it seems to me a double strike coin and the mint is hyderabad too although i dont know how to detect the metal but i will put is in olive oil now for long long time .

rajiv

Quote from: capnbirdseye on September 13, 2016, 09:06:57 PM
The coin has added interetst as it appears to be slightly double struck ?
yes sir , although i was searching hyderabad mint coin out of my one paisa  coins pouch  and  found this coin out of 47 coins  and was unable to fine same type coin on ebay after that . will this be a common coin sir or a good coin to preserve .

rajiv

Quote from: Figleaf on September 13, 2016, 10:51:17 PM
I suspect your coin is nickel-brass, rather than bronze. Ketchup is highly acidic. It will eat into the metal. If you need to use acid, use diluted lemon or lime juice. Its acidity can be controlled and the coin remains visible.

However, acid may not be necessary. Try washing it vigorously is soapy water (it is OK to put it in a pocket of e.g. trousers, kept in place with a safety pin and wash it in a washing machine with the clothing. This should dissolve fatty substances and make the dirt softer. Dry well, preferably in sunshine. Use a wooden toothpick on stubborn dirt e.g. in or between letters and numbers. You can repeat this until either you are happy or washing is no longer effective. In the latter case, use a soft eraser to rub the coin. If you rub too long, the coin will get an unnatural, pale yellow shine. You can darken it by keeping it in olive oil for a few weeks. Rinse and dry well when you are happy. It should look yellow to dark yellow. Remember that cleaning will at best not increase wear, but if it is overdone, it may make your coin more worn.

Peter
hello figleaf sir , is there any method to detect the metal of this coin ? i mean at home if possible

Figleaf

Look at the colour. Bronze is brown, brass is yellow. Over-clean bronze and it becomes pinkish; over-clean brass and it becomes pale yellow. With a nice patina, bronze will be dark brown, brass dark yellow.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

dheer

Quote from: rajiv on September 14, 2016, 06:45:44 AM
yes sir , although i was searching hyderabad mint coin out of my one paisa  coins pouch  and  found this coin out of 47 coins  and was unable to fine same type coin on ebay after that . will this be a common coin sir or a good coin to preserve .

It's a common coin. The doubling makes it special. However given the grade, it may not fetch much. Still its good to keep this in album.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

rajiv

Quote from: Figleaf on September 14, 2016, 11:58:57 AM
Look at the colour. Bronze is brown, brass is yellow. Over-clean bronze and it becomes pinkish; over-clean brass and it becomes pale yellow. With a nice patina, bronze will be dark brown, brass dark yellow.

Peter
ok sir , i already put that coin in olive oil . now will wait for some months , then see the results . thanks .

rajiv

Quote from: dheer on September 14, 2016, 01:56:59 PM
It's a common coin. The doubling makes it special. However given the grade, it may not fetch much. Still its good to keep this in album.
hello dheer sir , i never sell coins . i only buy and collect . it is a UNC  coin but got bad  due to no proper storage and care

rajiv

Quote from: rajiv on September 14, 2016, 04:57:44 PM
ok sir , i already put that coin in olive oil . now will wait for some months , then see the results . thanks .
few days dip in olive oil made my coin look better .

rajiv

Quote from: Figleaf on September 14, 2016, 11:58:57 AM

Peter
yes sir , i guess it is a  brass coin but  bronze