News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

France, Louis XIII double tournois 1638, Bordeaux, Dy 1374

Started by aws22, September 05, 2016, 05:10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aws22

French Post medieval, Francis I of Bourbon, Prince de Conti (1605-1614), Chateau Renaud mint
Weight 3 gm
Diameter 20 mm
Metal Copper alloy
Date from: Circa AD 1613
Date to: Circa AD 1614
Obverse: Tonsured head facing right with legend?
Reverse: Two French shields, visible legend DOVBLE.TOV
Nice rare old French coin.

Maythem
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Figleaf

Sorry, Mathem, but I am sure this is not what you think it is. To show this, I attached a picture showing what the coin should look like. Note:

• The diagonal line on the reverse is missing, so this is a royal, not a provincial coin.
  • The lower line of the bust does not fit, showing it is a different portrait. This is supported by a laurel wreath sticking out above the head which proves it is not Fran├žois I's head.
  • The I of what you read as ...TI is not split below, showing that the type of lettering is different.
  • There is no trace of the star at 12 o'clock, showing that the legend itself is different.
I think I can read ...II R DE FRA... on the obverse of our coin. Unfortunately, that is a typical legend on many of the double tournois from Henri IV to Louis XIII. The bust is not very helpful either, as much detail is missing. The coin die was probably dated, but the date is off-flan. Therefore, I can't identify this coin.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

aws22

Thank you Peter, my reference was the coin in this link https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/443804
The only difference was the weight, my coin was 3 gm and the one in the above link is 2 gm. Please check the link and compare the weights of those coins coins. Most of the information on my coin are not visible so I might have used the wrong data.

Maythem

Figleaf

What a difference six years make. I have a better screen and better software now and I hope I am slightly wiser ::)

On the obverse (A) I can now read I:R:DE:FR. It has also become clear that the obverse was struck twice: the legend is doubled between 8 o'clock and 1 o'clock. This allowed me to spot XII on the lower legend between 10 and 11 o'clock. The silhouette at least is largely compatible with Louis XIII, large bust, Dy 1374, Bordeaux 1638. As further evidence, I offer that on the reverse (B) this type has an asymmetrical dot above and to the right of the lower lily and this dot is visible on the photo of the reverse.

I give no guarantees, except that this is the best I can do.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

aws22