Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

Identification Required.

Started by biplab.chorizon, September 02, 2016, 11:58:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biplab.chorizon

Expert opinion needed.

constanius

Looks similar to this http://cepuckett.com/inventory/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=262   

Seleucid

Obv: Winged head of Medusa, right.

Rev: Humped Bull charging, right.  above the bull  I can make out ΑΣΙΛΕ  should be  (Β)ΑΣΙΛΕ(ΩΣ)

Pat

constanius

This looks similar in style for the Bull charging right, so I believe it might be Apollo not Medusa.

SC 149.2  Seleucus I AE18-20. Denomination B. Laureate head of Apollo right / BASILEWS SELEUKOU ( ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΣΕΛΕΥΚΟΥ), above and beneath bull butting right, within dotted border, Q and pentagram star above.

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/seleucia/seleukos_I/t.html     scroll down to SC 149.2

Another obverse has a Winged Gorgon head.

I hope someone can ID it. 

Pat

redwine

Looks a bit like the Massalia Bull bronzes, except for the character before the M on the reverse
http://www.cgb.fr/massalia-marseille-bronze-au-taureau-hemiobole-,bga_213571,a.html
Always willing to trade.  See my profile for areas of interest.

biplab.chorizon

Thank u sir. Any other comment plz.

constanius

Quote from: biplab.chorizon on September 03, 2016, 03:16:28 PM
Thank u sir. Any other comment plz.

You are welcome.  I did enlarge the inscription above the bull and compare it to a good example of the same Greek letters, apart from the beta & the last sigma being clipped it is a pretty good match, the omega is different.
BETA,ALPHA,SIGMA,IOTA,LAMBDA,EPSILON,OMEGA,SIGMA

ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ

Pat

redwine

Looks good to me Pat  ;D  Well done!
Any thoughts on the shared design?

constanius

Massalia was a Greek trading city and issued its own coins, hence the same designs.

Pat

biplab.chorizon

redwine

Quote from: constanius on September 03, 2016, 05:43:28 PM
Massalia was a Greek trading city and issued its own coins, hence the same designs.

Yes, but why the bull  ;D ;)
I'm puzzled, originally Phonecian and then Greek.
And the design means?

constanius

The Phoenicians were conquered by the Persians and many relocated to their colony of Carthage, Hence when the Greeks(Alex, the Great) conquered the Persian empire it became Greek.

Seleucus I Nicator became ruler of a Empire based on Babylon following the death and division of Alexander's empire.

The Bull was already firmly established in Babylon( Ahura Mazda, Mithras) and so Seleucus adopted the bull to ingratiate himself with the locals by showing respect for their religious beliefs, it also represents strength etc.  ΒΑΣΙΛΕΩΣ ΣΕΛΕΥΚΟΥ is Greek for King Seleucus.

I should add this is very cursory answer, there is much more to it.

Pat

redwine

Many thanks Pat  ;D
I shall do some homework.....