Author Topic: Austria Habsburg Wien, Ferdinand I, 1839, 3 Kreuzer, Silver, Vienna Mint KM 2191  (Read 1070 times)

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Austria Habsburg Wien, Ferdinand I, 1839, 3 Kreuzer, Silver, Vienna Mint KM 2191
Weight 1.7 gm
Diameter 17.8 mm
Metal Silver 0.346
Vienna mint
Obverse: Outer edge displays letter/words, (mint mark A) Ferdinand vs I.D.G.AVSTR.IMP.H.VNG.BOH.R.H.N.V. Bust faces to the right.
Reverse: Outer edge displays REX.LOMB.ET.VEN.DALM.GAL.LOD.ILL.A.A 1839. Two headed eagle with Number (3) in chest of the eagle. 3 kreuzer.
Nice rare silver coin.

Maythem
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 04:49:01 PM by aws22 »
Coin collecting has a curious name. It is also called the "Hobby of Kings".

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
Re: Austria Habsburg Wien, Ferdinand I, 1839, 3 Kreuzer, Silver, KM 2191
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 11:51:44 PM »
A later date. Does the C mintmark mean the Karlsburg mint? SCWC doesn't seem very clear on the matter.  :-\

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 03:57:31 AM »
Dear mrbadexample, the first mint mark on coins minted in Kremnica was C (for Latin Cremnicium), Kremnica is now in Slovakia. Please refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kremnica_Mint

Maythem

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 11:40:23 AM »
A very interesting piece, Maythem. The hole is in such a position that neither the head, nor the arms would be upright when the coin is suspended. That means that whoever made the hole didn't care about the design, though the owner cared about the silver. These are indications that the coin was probably used somewhere in the Ottoman empire as decoration of clothing.

The Ottoman empire has a tradition of importing and using silver coins. The best known are the Maria Theresa thaler from Austria, Luigino from France and the lion dollar of the Netherlands. Your coin shows that good quality Austrian small silver also circulated in West Asia.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Prosit

• Honorary Member
    • Austrian Coins, Tokens and Medals
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 02:30:20 PM »
I have quite a few Austrian coins but not much in the 3-K denomination.
I have a 1670 3-K from Olmutz  :)
and as it turns out I also have an Austrian 1847 3-K. It is in great shape but unattractively toned.
It is an A mint mark.

Congratz on the 1839!

Dale

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 02:53:35 PM »
The toning is hiding detail, so there's a good case for treating it. It is typical for having sat in a paper enveloppe for some time. I know that problem. On silver, it is most easily solved with a silver dip. I know some people frown upon it. I disagree. An alternative solution is here. Another option is a soft eraser treatment. I find the resulting colour effect worse than that of a silver dip, but that's personal.
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2017, 04:00:03 PM »
Thank you Peter and Dale for your comments.
(A) mint mark is for Vienna (Wien).

Maythem

Offline mrbadexample

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2017, 07:47:58 PM »
Dear mrbadexample, the first mint mark on coins minted in Kremnica was C (for Latin Cremnicium), Kremnica is now in Slovakia. Please refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kremnica_Mint

Maythem

Thanks Maythem. Your Wikipedia link suggests that Prague was given the C mark after 1766:

"With a decree from 16 June 1766, Maria Theresa uniformized the mint marks of the Austrian Empire, the new alphabetical system showed the importance of the mint: Körmöcbánya received letter B (Vienna mint received A, Prague mint C, etc.)"

So I'm looking at Prague for mine, I think?  ???

Either way, I think these are a really pretty little coin. :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 08:07:58 PM by mrbadexample »

Offline aws22

• Honorary Member
Thank you mrbadexample, I am glad it was minted in Prague, now you know.

Maythem