Author Topic: Question about reference book  (Read 257 times)

Offline echizento

Question about reference book
« on: November 15, 2018, 03:14:03 AM »
Are any of you familiar with the book titled "Ancient Indian Coins Decoding of their Indus-Brahmi Inscriptions with special emphasis on the Punch-Marked Coins, By Sambhu Nath Mondal? It's an interesting and the first that I have come across that states that the punch mark symbols correspond to Brahmi words and that these symbols will ID a coin  to it's region and ruler. It takes the five bunch mark symbols and breaks them down into a combination  of Brahmi letters. So that each punch mark becomes a group of several letters.

I find this theory a bit hard to swallow and was wondering what you all might think about this reference book? My feeling is that Gupta and Hardaker is still the best reference source for these coins. 

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
Re: Question about reference book
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 02:47:56 PM »
I find this theory a bit hard to swallow and was wondering what you all might think about this reference book? My feeling is that Gupta and Hardaker is still the best reference source for these coins.
It is. One of Mitchiner's books also attributes PMCs to specific rulers (though not based on so outrageous a claim), but such classification remains conroversial.

I have not seen the specific book you mention, but some relatively recent books on Ancient Indian coins seem to be a waste of the paper they are printed on.

Offline echizento

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 06:11:40 PM »
This might just be one of those books.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 07:11:03 PM »
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"

I do not know the book. how convinced are you by the evidence ?

Offline echizento

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2018, 01:44:29 AM »
Not being a person exposed  the Brahmi script he explains the script in detail which make sense to my limited understanding. He has gathered information from many notable ancient  Indian historians which give credence to his theories. If his theories are correct this book will make identifying punched-marked more accurate.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Collect Old Coins
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 07:31:51 AM »
What does the author even mean by “Indus-Brahmi”, to start with? There is currenly no established consensus on any relation between the two.

Offline echizento

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 10:35:44 PM »
Approximately half the book is devoted to how Indus script developed and evolved into Brahmi. I didn't spend a lot of time with that because my interest was how Brahmi pertains to punch marked coinage.

From the replies here it is apparent that this book has not attached the attention  of collectors that have much more knowledge on the subject htan I do. So I can at this point only assume that the book has little or no value.