Author Topic: What is a Nazrana coin?  (Read 788 times)

Offline Supernic

What is a Nazrana coin?
« on: July 19, 2016, 01:48:08 PM »
Lots of sellers are posting "Nazrana coins" of Akbar/other mughal emperors on sites like eBay/ available in Chandni chowk, New Delhi. These look completely different from normal mughal coins. I found no reference/article on the net for such coins. Are these fake coins?

Thanks,
Anik

Offline mitresh

• Honorary Member
Re: What is a Nazrana coin?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 03:31:02 PM »
Quote from Oesho (Jan Lingen) as per previous post

Nazrana or Nazars were presented to the king on special occasions. People, who wanted to present nazars, would order and buy the special struck coins from the mint. For the nazar or nazarana coins, an extra fee had to be paid as the production required extra work. For the mint, it was a nice extra income and almost all the nazarana coins returned within a fews days back to the mint again.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Offline capnbirdseye

• Vic
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 03:52:35 PM »
The new meaning of Nazarana is apparently an excuse for dealers to rapidly increase the price for what usually turns out to be just a regular coin on a large flan or if the legend is shown complete and not off centre

True Nazaranas were from special dies with extra care taken to strike them so they do show the full legends & are usually on a larger flan such as the Jaipur ones that turn up most frequently
Vic

Offline Supernic

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 01:36:23 PM »
Thanks for the information. Since I am a beginner, I think I will concentrate on normal coins for now, and avoid these.