Author Topic: East Caribbean States: QEII ship coin  (Read 6517 times)

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
East Caribbean States: QEII ship coin
« on: June 28, 2009, 04:20:34 AM »
Hi guys,
Just wanted to show you this coin.
Ginger

translateltd

Re: East Caribbean States: QEII ship coin
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 04:39:22 AM »
Thanks, Ginger.  What interests me most is the continued use of the Machin effigy of the Queen as late as 2000, when most Commonwealth countries dropped it in the early 1980s.

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 04:42:05 AM »
Martin,
I had wondered about how very young she looks.
I found these in an old jewelry box when I cleaned out my vanity. There are a couple more.
Ginger

BC Numismatics

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 02:50:03 PM »
Thanks, Ginger.  What interests me most is the continued use of the Machin effigy of the Queen as late as 2000, when most Commonwealth countries dropped it in the early 1980s.

Fiji is also the only British Commonwealth republic to still use the Raphael Maklouf design,but the Solomon Islands is the only Dominion that still uses the Maklouf design.

On the other hand,Belize still uses the crowned portrait of the Queen by Cecil Thomas,which was used on the coins of the Seychelles,Mauritius,British Honduras,& Hong Kong.

Aidan.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 03:26:29 PM »
The East Caribbean States are eight flyspecks in the Caribbean, doing the euro thing with a common currency, the East Caribbean Dollar. Though you can argue that the arrangement is just another colonial inheritance, unworthy of comparison with the euro, I think there is at least an equally good argument for saying that it is an example of voluntary cooperation between sovereign states. It helps, of course that they are simple economies and (as Christian points out) that none is dominating.

The ship is the galleon "Golden Hind", captained by either the infamous murdering pirate (if you are Spanish) or the famous swashbuckling privateer (if you are English) Sir Francis Drake. See also this thread

Peter

« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 03:52:12 PM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2009, 03:29:40 PM »
Interesting information Peter! Thanks for sharing with us :)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline bart

• Meritorious Member
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2009, 06:12:09 PM »
The same ship "Golden Hind" was also pictured on the British half penny from 1937 until the decimalisation in 1970.
Picture from worldcoingallery.com

bart

Offline tonyclayton

• Coins of the UK
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 09:50:32 PM »
And here is the last of the UK halfpence with the Golden Hind, issued after the halfpenny was demonetised!  I suppose this is an example of NCIT (non-circulating illegal tender) :o (Sorry, I cannot use those smileys on this computer)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 04:24:38 PM by Figleaf »

BC Numismatics

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2009, 11:54:07 PM »
Tony,
  The British 1970 Proof set is an official one.Interestingly,both the 1/2d. & 2/6 had already been pulled from circulation & demonetised in 1969.

The 1970 Proof set is also a very common one.I was given one with a cracked case,so I put the coins in the 2 x 2 holders,& threw the case away.

Aidan.

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 11:03:42 PM »
Thanks all,
Very interesting information on this coin. Now at least I know the name of the ship.
ginger

Offline thelawnet

• AC/DC Numismatist.
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 03:46:14 AM »
The East Caribbean States are eight flyspecks in the Caribbean, doing the euro thing with a common currency, the East Caribbean Dollar. Though you can argue that the arrangement is just another colonial inheritance, unworthy of comparison with the euro, I think there is at least an equally good argument for saying that it is an example of voluntary cooperation between sovereign states. It helps, of course that they are simple economies and (as Christian points out) that none is dominating.

The EC$ has been around a lot longer than the euro! And the countries that use it are much more appealing places for Europeans to be in the winter than the eurozone (with the exception of course of places like St. Maarten).

The Golden Hind has been on their coins since the first in 1955; the portrait of the Queen has changed of course since then.

This was the original portrait:

Not sure where else it was used.

Offline ghipszky

• Honorary Member
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 03:56:10 AM »
Wow what a beautiful coin!
Ginger

BC Numismatics

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 09:36:25 AM »
This was the original portrait:

Not sure where else it was used.

Belize,Bermuda (silver 5/-),British Honduras,British West Africa,Cyprus,East Africa,Fiji,Hong Kong,Jamaica,Jersey,Mauritius,Nigeria,& the Seychelles.

The coin that you are depicting is one from the British Caribbean Territories (Eastern Group),which became the East Caribbean Territories briefly in 1981 before it became the East Caribbean Territories.The 2 rarest coins of the British Caribbean Territories (Eastern Group) are the 1958 1/2c. & the 1965 50c..I have got both coins in my collection.

Aidan.