Helsingborg ferry token

Started by Figleaf, July 06, 2016, 09:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Figleaf

A hamnfärjan is a harbour ferry in Swedish and 3 öre shows that it isn't recent. That's about as far as I get with the obverse. "KVICK" remains mysterious. Passagerare-pollet is a passenger token, giving the function of the token: it's a transportation ticket. The token is signed SVen-OLaf Morrell, Stockholm, a competitor of the omnipresent Sporrong. This is one of Morell's standard reverses.

Does anyone know what KVICK stands for or at least where this token was used?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

THCoins

What could "Kvick" be else but the name of the boat ?
(Also click the link on this page)

Figleaf

You struck gold ;) That gave me its home port, Helsingborg and the year it was built, 1937. The 3 öre tariff means the token dates from quite early in its career. In 1969, the tariff was 50 öre.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Prosit

And I thought it was a word that meant "Quick".
Dale

FosseWay

Helsingborg in Skåne. Yours (white metal, Morell reverse) is Smith Sweden 300FB.

Kvick is indeed the name of the boat.

There are two other variants of the 3 öre according to the Smiths - a white metal one with blank reverse and a brass one, also with blank reverse. There may be others.

Quote from: [url=http://stadslexikon.helsingborg.se/index.php?title=KvickHelsingborgs Stadslexikon[/url]]Kvick, legendarisk hamnfärja som trafikerade hamnen mellan Hamntorget och parapeten under nära 80 år. Den första koleldade hamnfärjan invigdes på sommaren 1893. Taxan var då tre öre för vuxen! Den lilla färjan ombyggdes senare till ett utseende som liknade den dieseldrivna färja som 1937 tog över rutten. Den nya var byggd i Sölvesborg. Trafiken upphörde emellertid 1969, då kostade det 50 öre för enkel resa, enär riskerna bedömdes för stora för sammanstötning med de korsande tågfärjorna. Kvick hamnade, efter att en tid ha tjänstgjort hos Dykarklubben Delfinen, i Ystad för upphuggning, men köptes av intresserade privatpersoner och inrättades som husbåt, seglar därefter på en insjö uppåt landet.

Quick translation:
Kvick: legendary harbour ferry which served the harbour between Hamntorget and Parapeten for nearly 80 years. The first coal-powered harbour ferry was launched in summer 1893. The fare was then 3 öre för an adult! The little ferry was rebuilt later to resemble the diesel-driven ferry that took over the route in 1937. The new one was built in Sölvesborg. The service stopped in 1969, at which point it cost 50 öre for a single journey, because there was too great a risk that the boats might collide with the train ferries [to Denmark]. After serving for a time with the Delfinen diving club, Kvick ended up in Ystad for scrapping but was bought by private enthusiasts and converted to a houseboat, and now sails in a lake further north.

Called the "harbour ferry" to distinguish it from the ferries to Helsingør, which still run.

FosseWay

Quote from: Prosit on July 06, 2016, 10:19:18 PM
And I thought it was a word that meant "Quick".
Dale

It does, kind of. Though more "lively" - as in the older sense of the word "quick" in English (cf. the 1662 Prayer Book version of the Apostles' Creed - "whence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead").