Unique half dam of Shah Jahan Akbarabad!

Started by abhinumis, June 22, 2016, 09:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abhinumis

Hi,
Here is a stunning beauty and unique as far as I know.. Please do let me know how you guys feel about it..Also if this coin is listed anywhere.
This is a half dam, weighing 9.8gms of Akbarabad mint
Both obverse and reverse is enclosed in a beautiful octagonal cartouche
Obverse- Sahib Qiran thani 1048Ah
Reverse- Zarb Akbarabad sanah 10

Awaiting comments
Dr.Abhishek

cmerc

Can you share the story of how you acquired this marvelous piece?
Defending this hobby against a disapproving family since 1998.

Figleaf

Congratulations, Abishek! There's nothing better than a discovery piece. Unless it is a well designed and executed discovery piece. What makes this piece unique? Date? Mint? Design?

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

abhinumis

Hi all,
The coin varies in execution and design from other copper coins of Akbarabad..
On a forum on facebook Shailendra Bhandare commented " This coin does appear to be of a type quite different than usual both in terms of legends and decorative features".  I have only said it is such a different design than usual that it is possible it is a specially struck coin. It is anybody's guess what that special purpose / event could have been.
I think if there was any reason to issue special coins in RY10 it would be the final victory over Shahaji Bhosle in the Deccan whereby the Nizam Shahi sultanate ended and the Mughals became masters of a large strategic area. This was celebrated on a grand scale with Aurangzeb, who orchestrated this win, being received at Agra with the captive (and nominal) nizamshahi Sultan."
Dr.Abhishek

asm

Quote from: abhinumis on June 24, 2016, 02:16:34 PM
I think if there was any reason to issue special coins in RY10 it would be the final victory over Shahaji Bhosle in the Deccan whereby the Nizam Shahi sultanate ended and the Mughals became masters of a large strategic area.

I read this comment on Fb and have since been wondering about the connection between Shahji Bhonsle and the Nizam Shahi dynasty.

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

abhinumis

Amit ji, Shahaji was the father of Chatrapati Shivaji maharaj. He was a 'sardar' or general in Nizam's army( Nizam sgahi of Ahmednagar). This is what I got from wikipedia.
"Shahaji started leading Nizam's forces. However, at that time, the Mughal forces on the order of Shah Jahan had slain all the men in relation to Nizam and also killed two pregnant women. This was done to finish off the Nizamshahi, as there wouldn't be any Male heir to the throne of the Nizam. However, Shahaji, in order to protect Nizamshahi decided to crown a child named Murtuza, who was in relation with Nizam, as the next Nizam. Shahaji assured Murtuza's mother that he would not be harmed and vouched for his safety.

Shahajahan dispatched a force of 48,000 to reduce Shahaji, Nizam and his ally Adilshah. Under such mounting attack Adilshah sued for peace. With the withdrawal of Adilshah's support, Shahaji could not hold much against the Mughals. His possessions were reduced quickly. In the fort of Mahuli he was besieged. Portuguese did not offer any help from naval side due to fear of the Mughals. In this war, Shahaji fought till the last. But, unfortunately Murtaza, the infant Nizam, was kidnapped by Mughals and for the purpose of saving the life of Nizam, it became necessary for Shahaji to make compromise. This compromise finished Nizamshahi. Shahaji, on the condition of protecting the life of little Mourtaza Nizam at any condition, handed him over to Shahajahan. Nizam was taken away by Sardar Ranoji Wable (regional sardar of Shah Jahan)to Delhi. He was inducted into Adilshahi. As a precaution Shahajahan, ensured that Shahaji was posted in deep south so as not to pose any challenge to Mughals. "
Dr.Abhishek

asm

Thanks............... :-X :-X

So much for the theory that the Marathas were the enemies of the Mughals........

Amit
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

abhinumis

The enimity started from Shivaji maharaj when he started capturing the forts nominally held by the Mughals..
Dr.Abhishek