News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Mystery Silver Medal? Wirral and Eddisbury Musical Festival 1913?

Started by DarkSithLord, June 03, 2016, 12:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkSithLord

Hi Gents.

Can anyone shed any light on this piece? It has me totally stumped?

As you can see it is silver. I will try and find the weight and diameter later and add it to the thread. Thanks for any advice.

Figleaf

Looks like a prize medal. The large open space would be engraved with the name of the prize and the name of the winner. So why did it remain open? Possibly because the medal was given to all members of musical groups and it was unclear how many members the winning group would have, so the organizers ordered a few more medals than actually needed.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

malj1

THE PRIMITIVE METHODIST LEADER. APRIL 10, 1913 page 251

Source

Cups were awarded as first prize so perhaps this a second prize?
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

constanius

Anchor (Birmingham), Lion (Sterling .925), N (1912), are the Birmingham silver marks for 1912.

Need a better image of the first mark to be able to identify the maker.

Pat

DarkSithLord

Quote from: constanius on June 03, 2016, 03:31:44 PM
Anchor (Birmingham), Lion (Sterling .925), N (1912), are the Birmingham silver marks for 1912.

Need a better image of the first mark to be able to identify the maker.

Hi there. Thanks for your continued help. Here is a more detailed close up of the hallmark. Hope this helps.

constanius

It appears to be W S & M L(for Ltd)  which is not listed on any of the on-line references.

I also looked at all the listed marks beginning with W and it is not listed at all.  This is not that surprising as the lists are incomplete.

Pat

malj1

Not sure of the second letter S, more like an I but the last is definitely a K  ???
...or H?

Edit Sheffield maker  ???
Malcolm

constanius

It sure is very similar Malcolm.  Being on a flag/pennant  is pretty rare!

It is Wr(for Walker) & Hall.  you got it,  I missed that one ::) ;D

Pat

malj1

It is pretty likely Walker & Hall made the silver cups that were presented too.

Walker and Hall Sheffield were primarily Sheffield Makers, but items with Birmingham Assay Marks can also be found. See Walker & Hall
Malcolm

DarkSithLord

Thanks for all the help gents. So are Walker and Hall Medals hard to find? Do you happen to know what this would be worth approx/ Thanks