Akbar dam, Kabul mint, A'dl Kabul counterstruck over Suri dam

Started by abhinumis, June 01, 2016, 08:31:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abhinumis

Hi,
Here is an interesting coin.. It is a copper coin weighing 20.2 gms. The undertype is clearly a sher shah paisa with square panel.
On the coin within a square panel is the legend "Ad'l Kabul' and a date 1001 written near 'lam' of A'dl.. What is more interesting is that no such weight standard was prevalent in the Afgan area which means the older suri paisas were transported to Kabul to flatten them and counterstrike them.. Do comment
Dr.Abhishek

saro

A rare coin !
A similar overstruck dam and a half were listed by S. Album ( auction 14 / lot 1174). The dam shows an Ilahi date on reverse, read as 39 or 49; it seems to me that a AH date is also present at bottom left, as on yours, but hasn't been noticed by S. Album ("100x", which could fit with Ilahi 39).
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

abhinumis

Dear Bernard sir,
I did have a look at the lot in steven albums that you mentioned. I think it is similiar to mine but mine is a lot more clearer and hence the date can be properly seen! Dated ones counterstruck are indeed rare! These coins are religiously flattened to remove any sign of previous ruler but I was lucky that in my coin the underlying type is recognisable.. Also these coins were counterstruck 2-3 times sometimes as evident from pics available on net. Don't know the reason fir it!
Dr.Abhishek

saro

I have recently found one with a good grade counterstamp.
23mm / 18,98g / dated 1001 AH

It is very difficult to identify the host coin but from the few remaining traces, I am not sure it is a Suri paisa, it looks better like a mughal dam ???
"All I know is that I know nothing" (Socrates)

abhinumis

A beautiful coin indeed! I have seen only the square counterstamped ones have dates.. The octagonal and mihrabi ones are dateless. Congrats on this find
Dr.Abhishek