News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Gibraltar: Some 1, 2 and 5 pound commemoratives

Started by <k>, October 17, 2011, 08:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

<k>

In addition to its standard circulation coinage, Gibraltar has issued various commemorative or collector coins:

* Some of these are 1 and 2 pound coins, and some (but not all) have circulated and do circulate.

* Some of them have been 50 pence coins, and there was even a commemorative 2 pence coin.

* The 5 pound coins are collector pieces only and do not circulate.

NOTES.

1] I have deliberately excluded Xmas 50p coins, as well as other thematic collector 50p coins such as these.

2] Please post any Xmas coins in a separate topic.

3] The topic title does not mention the 2p or 50p coins contained herein, but that was simply so I could keep the title short.

4] I have not included any coins from the 2004 and 2005 commemorative circulation coinages, because these were special cases that included all the standard denominations from 1 penny to 2 pounds.

5] These coins were originally part of the topic: Milestones in the decimal coinage of Gibraltar. I have split them out in order to simplify that topic.

6] If these notes are complicated, this is because Gibraltar's coin issuing policy is somewhat incoherent.  :-X

See also: Gibraltar: World War Two 50p set (2004)

To look at Gibraltar's standard circulation coins, see these topics:

Milestones in the decimal coinage of Gibraltar.

Comments on "Milestones in the decimal coinage of Gibraltar".
Visit the website of The Royal Mint Museum.

See: The Royal Mint Museum.

<k>

In 1989 Gibraltar issued a circulating commemorative pound coin.

It honoured the 150th anniversary of the first Gibraltar coin.

<k>

In 1993 Gibraltar released a circulating pound coin that commemorated the 1967 referendum.

An overwhelming majority of the adult population voted to remain British.

<k>

In 1994 a circulating pound coin commemorated the 40th anniversary of the Queen's first visit to Gibraltar.

It depicts the Royal Yacht Britannia.

<k>

Gibraltar 2 pounds 1994.jpg

A two pound coin was also issued with the same design.

<k>

Gibraltar 1 pound 1995.jpg

In 1995 Gibraltar issued a circulating pound coin depicting the Rock and the emblem of the United Nations.

It commemorated Gibraltar's National Day, and the 50th anniversary of the United Nations.

<k>

In 1997 Gibraltar released a new circulating denomination: a bimetallic two pound coin. This was in line with the UK, which also tried to introduce its own two pound coin in 1997; however, the electronic signature of the UK coins was wrong, so their issue was postponed until 1998, although the 1997-dated UK coins were also eventually released.

The reverse of the Gibraltar two pound coin shows Hercules strangling the Nemean lion. I do not know to what extent this coin circulated; if Gibraltar had retained its one pound banknote, then it is likely that banknotes would have been more popular than coins, but I have no knowledge of the situation on the ground in Gibraltar at that time.

<k>

Gibraltar 2 pound coins.jpg

Here is the full set of the Twelve Labours of Hercules.

<k>

See also part one of this topic: Milestones in the decimal coinage of Gibraltar.

In 2001 Gibraltar a two pound coin commemorated the 300th anniversary of the Union Flag.

I do not know whether this coin actually circulated.

<k>

In 2003, Gibraltar issued a circulating pound coin to celebrate the 1700th Anniversary of Death of St. George.

The design shows George and the Dragon, and the Latin legend translates as "George, friend of Christ".

<k>

Gibraltar 2p 2007.jpg

In 2007 a mysterious two pence coin of Gibraltar appeared on the market.

It commemorated the Queen's Diamond Wedding.

<k>

This was followed by a two pound coin on the same theme.

When I queried these issues with a reliable correspondent from Gibraltar, he replied:

"The 2p you refer to along with a £2 Diamond wedding, was not made generally available and was a special order from a private collector."

So these are apparently not official issues.

<k>

In 2008 Gibraltar issued a commemorative 50 pence, depicting "Our Lady of Europe".

Compare this with the former 20 pence design.

Its legend reads "Our Lady of Europa".  "Europa/Europe" - which version do the Gibraltarians use?

<k>

Gibraltar, 5 pounds, 2014.  The Rock of Gibraltar.

Just as in the UK, the five pound coins are collector coins only and are not intended to circulate.

<k>