Author Topic: Fake coins on eBay  (Read 2211 times)

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Fake coins on eBay
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2016, 09:45:16 AM »
I could be wrong but, somehow, this whole list looks quite suspicious to me:

http://www.ebay.in/sch/coinsstore999/m.html?item=162245821244&hash=item25c69ac33c%3Ag%3AEcUAAOSwzaJYB4cl&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Most of the Republic India coins listed, if not all, are also fake! ::)

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
  • Tamdiu discendum est, quamdiu vivas
    • Overlord's stamp and coin collection
Re: Fake coins on eBay
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 01:45:17 PM »
Another store I would not advise buying from:

http://www.ebay.in/sch/savita-rathor/m.html?item=182343195523&hash=item2a74805b83%3Ag%3ASGEAAOSw44BYHO%7Ei&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

The amount of positive feedback is worrisome.

Offline dheer

• Honorary Member
  • Indian Coins & Currencies
    • Coins of Republic India
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 12:38:35 PM »
There are tons of fake dealers on eBay.

Same seller, multiple ID's. Listing images from Original Coins and shipping fakes etc.
http://coinsofrepublicindia.blogspot.in
A guide on Republic India Coins & Currencies

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 02:39:27 PM »
The problem is that eBay has policies that make it easy for dishonest/unprofessional people (be they sellers or buyers) to thrive. Consider their no-negative-feedback-for buyers policy. Bid on any item you fancy. Then never pay. The seller will have to waste more than a week (mandatory waiting period) registering an unpaid item case and closing it to claim a refund on the listing fees. The buyer only gets an unpaid item strike (but, strangely, can still leave a negative feedback for the seller, which will waste more of their time as they need to "prove" to eBay why it was unjustified). When you get two unpaid item stikes, simply register a new account. Rinse and repeat. The more adventerous will claim they never got the item and demand a refund (which eBay will happily grant to them from the seller's pocket in many cases). I know some honest sellers who no longer sell on eBay after being looted in this fashion. Then there are buyers who haggle after the auction closes. As for sellers of fake coins, knives, etc., all I have reported to eBay India so far continue to be active.

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 01:07:14 AM »
Maybe it's part of a wider problem. The net is new, lawless and largely anonymous. In many corners (including Twitter and Facebook) lies and innuendo are accepted practice. Hounding people is order of the day and impoliteness, insults, personal attacks and even death threats are considered normal. Spamming and hacking is a way of life. People do things on the net they wouldn't do in daily life. Teenagers are both major culprits and major victims, but no age class or gender is spared. This is how far we have sunk.

A few days ago, state sponsored hackers put a part of the Saudi airport system out of order. Fortunately, nobody died, but it could have happened. When a soldier shoots at another soldier across a border, that is an act of war. When a state-sponsored hacker attacks a state computer that protects lives, that is LOLZ? This is how far we have sunk.

There are only two approaches: social pressure and legal control. There is, as far as I am aware, not even an attempt to criminalise such behaviour in any international organisation and national attempts are LOLZ. As long as there are rogue states that do nothing, legal control will be imperfect, because the net knows no boundaries. As long as companies put profits above clean business methods, crooks-of-the-moment and real criminals will go free. The only tool available to us now is private naming and shaming and boycotting of sites that tolerate criminal behaviour. This is how far we have sunk.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 06:10:37 AM »

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Fake coins on eBay
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2017, 08:02:34 AM »
Adding two more lists. Both pertain to sellers of ancient coins though.

http://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=18502.0
http://ancientartifakes.net/smf/index.php?topic=71.0

It appears that first link is accessible only after registration?

Aditya
Caution. The low-hanging fruits are still there maybe for a reason.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 08:21:23 AM »
It appears that first link is accessible only after registration?

Aditya
Yes. I didn't realize it as I am logged in all the time.

Offline malj1

• Honorary Member
  • "illegitimi non carborundum"
    • Mals Machine Tokens
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2017, 08:23:28 AM »
They do themselves a disservice, I refuse to log in to a site until I know what they have to offer.
Malcolm
Have a look at  my tokens and my banknotes.

Offline Overlord

• Honorary Member
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2017, 08:50:31 AM »
I believe most, if not all, of the seller IDs are covered in the other two lists. However, if you collect ancient (particularly Roman and Greek) coins, it may be worth registering for free access to resources such as the first edition of The Encyclopedia of Roman Imperial Coins and the study images under Fake Coin Reports.