Author Topic: Port.India, D. Joao, 1521-57, Cu Bazaruco, ND, mint: Goa. Ref: Gomes J3 05.01-04  (Read 4376 times)

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
The coins below, which weigh around 8.7g were picked up from Diu and are very likely issues of  Portuguese India. Please help attribute these as the patina on the coin obscures most details. I am not very keen to wash these coins for fear of loosing the data seen on them now. I hope my decision is correct.
Amit
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 08:06:30 PM by Rangnath »
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
This is a coin similar to the two others but weighs 6.5g. Please help attribute.
Amit

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Portugueese India, D. Joao (1521-1557), Copper Bazaruco, ND, mint: Goa. Ref.: Gomes J3 05.01-04.
The coin has a nice patina and should be kept like that.

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
Same remark as the former two coins.
Portugueese India, D. Joao (1521-1557), Copper Bazaruco, ND, mint: Goa. Ref.: Gomes J3 05.01-04.
The coin has a nice patina and should be kept like that.

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Oesho,

Thanks a lot for the advice on the patina and for the attribution (this as well as the other two coins). The coins look really good as they are.

Amit

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
I absolutely second Oesho's advice on keeping the patina.  Thanks so much for the reference number Oesho. 
Is there any evidence of Diu's interesting history Amit; forts, buildings, cannons?
richie

Offline asm

• Honorary Member
  • Ahmedabad, India
Oesho,
Should not the lighter coin which weighs 6.5g with a heavy patina be a 1/2 Bazaruco rather than a full unit? I saw your coin on Zeno (http://www.zeno.ru/showphoto.php?photo=55708) of 5.01g and around 16 to 18 mm size attributed as a half unit.

Richie,
Have'nt been to Diu myself. I was told that it is a beautiful place with an excellent beach and a Fort complete with cannons as well as a lot of tourists. Its too near to take a vaccacion and a little far for a one day outing. I hope you understand what I mean.

Amit
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 11:40:55 AM by asm »

Offline Oesho

• Honorary Member
The weights of those pieces is rather confusing.
Gomes gives the weight for the 1/2 bazaruco as 3.2/4.6 gm.
For the Bazaruco 7.7/9.1

The coins I have of this type, weigh: 9.14, 8.52, 7.51, 5.01 gm.
The first three seems to be clearly bazaruco's and the low wight specimen I have regarded as a 1/2 bazaruco, as it is nearer to the scale of the 1/2 bazaruco.
There is another denomination, the dinheiro, but the weight is given as 3.9/5.2 g., however the dinheiro has the V-symbol on one side and a globe on the other.  The bazaruco has the V-symbol on one side and a cross on the other.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member

Richie,
Have'nt been to Diu myself. I was told that it is a beautiful place with an excellent beach and a Fort complete with cannons as well as a lot of tourists. Its too near to take a vaccacion and a little far for a one day outing. I hope you understand what I mean.

Amit

Forgive me Amit, I misunderstood.  I do understand about the vacation distance.  My wife and I are much more likely to take a vacation in California (an 11 to 17 hour drive) than in Oregon.

richie

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
To understand the pics, here's the illustration from Gomes and a description:

obv: crowned gothic J (looks like a V) between two patterns of four dots.
rev: short cross with pellets in the four corners in a double circle.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 12:45:48 AM by Figleaf »
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Rangnath

• Honorary Member
WOW!  So that is the coin's design!   COOL!  8)
Thanks Peter.
richie