Author Topic: Germany 2017: Rhineland-Palatinate and (maybe) Maastricht Treaty  (Read 2903 times)

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
In 2017, Germany plans to issue a commemorative €2 coin dedicated to the state of Rhineland-Palatinate (featuring the Porta Nigra in Trier). While that is not exactly news ;) there are also plans to issue a second commem honoring the Maastricht Treaty (signed by the Council in 1992, thus 25 years ago). The RP coin will definitely come; the Maastricht coin may or may not be issued. See the attached program from the Numismatic Office's magazine.

Christian

Offline quaziright

Re: Germany 2017: Rhineland-Palatinate and (maybe) Maastricht Treaty
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 09:14:01 PM »
So the 5 euro polymeric ring is most likely a standard annual issue from now on? and would it be 5 colours again??

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016, 10:57:38 PM »
Yes, there will be another one next year - we don't know about the theme and design yet. Probably five colors or shades again. As for the other one with the asterisk (€2 Maastricht), I wonder whether that would be a "Germany only" coin or a common issue. In both cases the answer at this stage is ... we'll see. :)

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
Germany 2017: Rhineland-Palatinate and (maybe) Maastricht Treaty
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 09:49:31 AM »
Considering that there will be two €2 commemorative coins and one polymer €5 coin, we have to spend 2 x 2 x 5 (€2 CCs) + 5 x €20 + 5 x €5 = €145 (minimum) on coins that can be had for face; considering 5 mint marks for €2 and €5 coins. Things could get worse if €20 coins are also coming from different mints. ::)

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline quaziright

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 08:22:45 PM »
good to know, I may still get all 5 polymeric colours as a one off for the first issue and then just one colour for all ensuing issues

Online Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2016, 08:43:57 PM »
I am not overjoyed with series for lower governments commemorating nothing in particular, but this series is well under way and not endless, so it might as well be carried forward.

However, I think the Maastricht treaty commemorative is not a good idea. The cause is good; the Maastricht treaty transformed the Community into a Union and had weighty consequences in many fields, including a policy towards non-discrimination by gender, age or race. However, this should be a common issue of all member-states. If they cannot get their act together, so be it. Wait another 25 years. Making it a German-only issue sends the wrong signal.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 12:53:18 AM »
Well, each coin in that "German States" series commemorates the Bundesrat presidency of the honored state. Each presidency is a one-year period that begins on 1 November and ends on 31 October; the coin issued on that occasion usually comes in late January/early February.

As for that Maastricht Treaty commem, maybe the footnote actually means something like "either this will be a common issue, or it won't come". I have no idea but agree that it would be strange if only one euro area member state issued such a piece. However, I also believe that quite a few collectors do not particularly like the idea of yet another set of 19 (or 23) almost identical coins. Ah well, 2018 (the 25th anniversary of when the treaty became effective) would be another opportunity ...

Christian

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2017, 08:34:13 PM »
This year's €2 commem from Germany - the "Rhineland Palatinate" coin - shows the Porta Nigra in Trier. Here is an image (not mine); on the left you see the mintmark, on the right you have the designer's initials ("Ch" for František Chochola). The "D" at the bottom is supposed to be a country identifier. Guess that for some people, cars are more important than the internet ;) so once again they picked the "D" instead of "DE".

The coin was issued on Friday; it could be had at Bundesbank branch offices. I got mine at the WMF though; a major dealer (MDM) was nice enough to give bags with "all five" (one from each mint) away at face value.

Christian

Offline quaziright

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2017, 09:16:20 PM »
Yeah even I picked up from the MDM stand ... though I was not interested in all the Mir marks... so I just kept a couple and gave the rest to my friend. It was nice to attend a local german club meeting on the gallery overlooking the main floor

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2017, 07:48:00 AM »
Perhaps they should locate the mint mark and designer's initials elsewhere (below the country code?)..It looks odd at current location.

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2017, 07:53:33 AM »
I got mine at the WMF though; a major dealer (MDM) was nice enough to give bags with "all five" (one from each mint) away at face value.

Just checked their website and I'm literally stunned by their price tags. €12.95 for an easily available €2 commemorative coin (loose unc)! :o That's almost 4 times what other dealers ask for!

Aditya

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 11:47:17 PM »
Hmm, here they charge €22.50 for a five coin set plus some folder or booklet. But yes, with MDM you have to be a cherry picker. ;)

Christian

Offline eurocoin

• Indexer
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2017, 10:38:24 PM »
I visited Royal Mint of Belgium today and I was told 3 reasons why (it is likely that) a joint 2 euro commemorative will not be issued for the Maastricht treaty.

1. Dealers have complained about these joint issues as they immediately have to travel across all eurozone countries to pick up the coins.

2. The last theme (30th anniversary of the European flag) was ridiculous.

3. 2 national 2 euro commemoratives are already a lot so a third coin is too much.

All of these things have made the European institutions decide that the joint 2 euro commemoratives should be brought to an absolute minimum

Offline chrisild

• Honorary Member
  • NW · DE · EU
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2017, 11:45:29 PM »
Well, these days I wave the European Flag and sing the European Anthem every Sunday. And sometimes you hear the "United in Diversity" motto too. Yes, I know what you think about this ;) but in my opinion it is important. Similarly, such symbols are not ridiculous in my opinion, or rather about as ridiculous or not as most other symbols.

I have always found it odd that, while both the flag and the anthem were adopted in 1985 (the motto came in 2000), only the flag was "honored" by those 2015 coins. And yes, such common issues should be limited. From a collector's point of view, it would be more attractive and appropriate if they were not issued by the member states. Sure, won't happen, just saying. But the Flag commem for example ... well, for me one coin was enough, just as I do not need five coins when Germany comes with a new issue.

Christian

Offline Bimat

• आदित्य
  • Global Moderator
  • Honorary Member
  • Mumbai, India.
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2017, 08:22:00 AM »
1. Dealers have complained about these joint issues as they immediately have to travel across all eurozone countries to pick up the coins.

While I agree that issuing too many €2 commemorative coins with a common theme isn't a very good idea, why should ECB be concerned about what dealers think about it? It should be none of ECB's business if dealers are facing hardships due to the common issue...

Aditya