News:

Sign up for the monthly zoom events by sending a PM with your email address to Hitesh

Main Menu

Finnish 5 Euro Pieces-are they really so rare?

Started by Bimat, June 21, 2009, 02:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bimat

Though I have decided not to get addicted to collector Euro issues,still there are some fascinating coins.There are 3 Finnish 5 Euro pieces which I want to add to my collection:
KM# 111 5 EURO Ice Hockey World Championships
KM# 118 5 EURO Female javelin thrower
KM# 131 5 EURO Finland Presidency of European Union
(All bi-metallic)
But when I searched for these pieces on internet (on E-bay),I could find just one dealer with KM# 111.He is selling the coin for some 25+ Euro ::) (excluding shipping) Are these issues so rare to get?For what price they were issued? The mintage figures are not so small,so I thought I can get them for a reasonably good price..

Aditya
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

chrisild

For the first of these bimetallic €5 issues (the ice hockey world championship 2003 coin), the price of 25 euro is also what the Schön catalog says. The later issues are less expensive.

Now why does the 2003 piece cost more? Possibly because it was the first of its kind, issued at a time when the euro cash was something new. And also because ice hockey is very popular in Finland. Yes, these coins were/are issued at face, but you would still have to pick them up at specific places.

These are the prices that Schön lists for the later bimetallic €5 coins (in unc.):
2005 (Athletics World Championship) €15
2006 (Finnish EU Presidency II-2006) €12
2007 (90 Years Independence) €10
2008 (100 Years Nat'l Academy of Science and Helsinki Tech University) €15

Christian

Figleaf

I think the Finns were taken by surprise by the euro collectors. They had years of experience with demand for Finnish (pseudo) coins, but hadn't taken into account new demand created by the introduction of the euro. They were not alone. I think the same phenomenon hit the French in the case of Monaco and the Italians in the case of San Marino and the Vatican.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

Thanks Christian! Will keep on checking E-bay for these pieces..
It is our choices...that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities. -J. K. Rowling.

Figleaf

A possible alternative is our member Tomi, who is Finnish ...

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Bimat

Thanks Peter,will send him a PM once I come back from my short trip to native place :)

Bimat

Found an attractive offer for one of the 5 Euro piece.Check it here.But the shipping charges are too high (16$!!) ??? A very good deal otherwise..

Aditya

chrisild

The price is OK; if I ordered that piece from a dealer around here, I would pay roughly the same. Here are some more offers; this is the "Finland" list from MA-Shops, ie. various dealers. http://www.muenzauktion.com/shops/su_cat_new.php5?catid=438&lang=en&sort=jahr&desc=desc

But shipping will still be about as expensive, or even more. Also keep in mind that the site is not one dealer but a "platform" - if you buy from two dealers there, you pay twice for shipping. So maybe Downies/ECI is not all that bad ...

Christian