Assam Gowrinatha Simha 1 rupee

Started by Gavema, May 04, 2016, 10:41:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gavema

Can anyone one tell whether this Assam silver rupee of Gowrinatha Simha is a genuine coin. It is listed in an auction. Since, the price of Assam coins are very high, I wish to confirm before deciding on bidding, whether the coin is a genuine one.

Figleaf

From the silence of our members I would gather that it is likely to be genuine (I claim no personal expertise whatsoever on these coins.) The problem is that you can prove that a coin is fake if it has a flaw, but the absence of a flaw does not mean it is genuine. In other words, you can only prove a coin is a fake, not that a coin is genuine.

As you note, Assam coins are hard to find and expensive. You ask people to take on quite a responsibility to pronounce themselves on a genuine coin. Being rational, they would rather remain silent. Therefore, the onus is on you, the prospective buyer, to decide. That is also where it should be. You must acquire the competences needed to decide if you will want to take the risk.

Even so, you are free to curse the brainless hoodlums who produce fakes because they think their need for easy money is more important than the pleasure of all collectors and the scientific research into their own history they are putting at risk.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Gavema

Thanks Peter. The problem is i  find it difficult to check the genuineness of a coin from picture, as it is listed in an online auction. If I get a chance to see it physically then I may be able to judge to some extent.

Figleaf

Quote from: Gavema on May 24, 2016, 06:34:42 PM
The problem is i  find it difficult to check the genuineness of a coin from picture.

That problem is no different for others. The key questions are do you trust the seller and does the seller offer a guarantee that the coin is genuine (money back guarantee)? If you don't trust the seller, just don't buy anything expensive from him at any time. If there is no guarantee, you can ask for one and see what happens.

In general, online auctions are a risky place to buy expensive coins. It is hard to physically find a seller, fraud is rife and many auction sites are often only interested in the fees and certainly not in helping fraud victims.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

mitresh

I wouldn't personally bid on this coin, the layout and first impression is 'crude' that is unlike the usual Gaurinath Simha or Assam Rupee's that is usually well struck (Ahom mints applied strict quality control that explains relative unknown errors).

See here for comparison.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Gavema

Thanks once again Peter and Mitresh for your guidance and inputs.

naabh4

I agree with Mitresh ji that the script on this is a little crude. However, Gaurinatha Simha rupees and fractions are not really rare or expensive. I am sure that if you wait and look carefully, you can find a good example for a reasonable price! All the best! :)

mitresh

See the layout, strike and legend on this coin here to compare with your specimen and you will understand why I was skeptical.
In the quest for Excellence, there's no finish line.

Gusev

Interesting information by Rhodes-Bose.

If the weight of such coin is more than 11 grams, it will be "Genuine" or "Countre made".
These can be defined as coins made other than in the official mint, for usein the market, to supplement official coins, possibly with no intention to deceive. However, most were probably made by private entrepreneurs to spend in the market, with the itention of making profit for themselves, and to defraud government and the people (contemporary forgery).

This coin - Gaurinatha Simha, Rupee, RB R40?, KM#218, SE1708 Yr.7 (AD1786), may be "Countre made".
"Those at the top of the mountain didn't fall there."- Marcus Washling.