Nero of Kashmir, Harsha Raja Deva (1089-1101AD)

Started by asm, June 20, 2009, 07:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asm

Please help attribute this coin.
"It Is Better To Light A Candle Than To Curse The Darkness"

Overlord

The image needs to be rotated 180 degrees. This is an issue of the so-called Nero of Kashmir, Harsha Raja Deva (1089-1101AD). You can read about him here.

Oesho

Obv. need to be rotated 90 degrees anti-clockwise and the reverse 180 degrees.

Figleaf

The comparison with Nero, who was not interested in politics, is not too apt, I think. Her reminds me more of Henry VIII, both for being ruthless and for plundering religious institutes in favour of the royal budget. However, I don't think Henry VIII was mad (nor entirely sane of mind, but who is?)

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Overlord

Quote from: Figleaf on June 23, 2009, 01:05:57 PM
The comparison with Nero, who was not interested in politics, is not too apt, I think. Her reminds me more of Henry VIII, both for being ruthless and for plundering religious institutes in favour of the royal budget. However, I don't think Henry VIII was mad (nor entirely sane of mind, but who is?)

Peter

and I don't think "mad plunderer king of Kashmir" would have the same marketing potential as "Nero of Kashmir"  :D.

Rangnath

Harsha Raja Deva has marketing appeal? 
Harsha Raja Deva Cosmetics?
Harsha Raja Deva Lady's apparel?  :o
Harsha Kosher Hotdogs?  ???
Hmm..  I think I've gone too far with this one.  ::)
richie

RG

This one is mine....hope you all like this one. Obverse almost full flan, so coin became a little out of shape...but i like it.

THCoins

Again the nicest complete name and title legend one could whish for on a very nicely preserved coin !

Anthony

Mohit Kaura

the above coins i noticed different symbols. some are very unique.

THCoins

Nice to have these elements on flan! Again shows that you need multiple specimen of a type to get some insight in the total design.
The dots to the right of Lakshmi is the flower of the lotus she is holding. In the early ancestors of the type this is a cornucopia. This evolves into a lotusflower on a long stem. On the later types only the dots of the flower remain.
Likewise, the symbol to the right of the standing king are the remnants of the upper part of the trident he is holding, which is much clearer on the earlier (Kushan) versions.

Anthony

Spaniard

Very interesting observation.....
A couple of years back I did a lot of research centred on the symbols or basic designs on this series...
As THC said the dotted designs are lotus flowers one each side of Lakshmi's head.
There are 2 types..
Type 1..The most commonly seen, having 6, 7, or 8 circular petals around a central receptacle.
Type 2..Less common and usually having 4 circular petals interspersed with 4 elongated petals around a central receptacle.
I've no idea why there are these differences (Maybe mint locations?), but have always just put this down to the engravers artistic licence.

Mohit's 2nd coin is very interesting in that it shows the 3 pronged top of the trident on the Lakshmi side where a flower is usually positioned.....I find this really intriguing and as far as I know quite a rare feature so thanks for sharing.....
Paul