Author Topic: Abbasid period fals with a horse  (Read 234 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Abbasid period fals with a horse
« on: July 01, 2018, 01:51:15 AM »
I was lucky to acquire this somewhat primitive coin issued in Nasaf, now the industrial city of Qarshi in southern Uzbekistan. In the later 8th century this was a far outpost of the Abbasid empire. After the murder of the heroic general Abu Muslim at the palace of caliph Al-Mansur in 755, one of his subordinate commanders named Hashem stood up as a prophet and started his own movement. He was better known as al-Muqanna, المقنع, the Veiled. Apparently, being an experimenting chemist, his face had been disfigured in a blast, so he wore a veil all his life. He died in 783 after a life full of protest and violence, all but vanquished by the Abbasids.

This coin dates from 157-159 AH (774-776 AD) and its obverse shows a horse walking left, a nice young colt. See Zeno #102443, with a reason for the image of the horse. V. Nastich, fig. 23. Album A330. 23.5 mm, 3.60 gr.

-- Paul
« Last Edit: July 07, 2018, 11:35:25 AM by Pellinore »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Abbasid period fals with a horse
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2018, 09:51:09 AM »
Thanks for showing this one and the background story !
Never saw anything alike, but it does stand out in compared to other contemporary coinage.
If i would have encountered without prior knowledge i also would have picked this one up immediately!

Anthony