Coins of Haldenstein - narrow down I.D.

Started by CameronK, April 24, 2016, 04:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CameronK

Hello! I have these 2 coins of Haldenstein. It took  me a while to identify them as Haldenstein and now I'm trying to identify or confirm the denomination. Can anyone help?

The smaller of the two is 14 mm, .5 g. It has a double-headed eagle on one side, and the coat of arms on the reverse. I think it's a 1/2 kreutzer or kreutzer of the 1720's - 1730's.

The larger of the two is 17 mm, .6g. It has a cross and is dated 1727 on one side, and the coat of arms on the other. I think it is a blutzger. Thanks for the help!
Why? I coax stories out of unidentified coins.

Figleaf

Coin left is indeed a Blutzger 1727. KM 82. In the name of Gubert von Salis, Freyherr zu Haldenstein, Lichtenstein und Grottenstein.

Obv: Crowned arms of Haldenstein in cartouche, Gubert.Von.Salis.Dominvs.In.HALDENStein
Rev: Cross with open-ended arms, rosette SPES. MEA. EST. DEVS. - my hope is god.

See number 143 in this list.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Figleaf

Coin right is a kreuzer of the type 1721 - 1730. See link above, numbers 94 to 105. Number 93 is read as 1731 by KM. KM has the wrong picture and attributes this coin incorrectly to Thomas von Salis.

Obv. Crowned arms of Haldenstein in frame or wreath, Gubert.Von.Salis.Dominvs.In.HALDENSTein or variant - Gubert von Salis lord in Haldenstein.
Rev. Bicephalic eagle, I (kreuzer) on breast shield. CARolvs.VI.Dei.Gratia.Romanorvm.IMperator.Semper.Augustus.[date] or variant - Charles VI roman emperor.

Borrowed a picture here, before it disappears.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

CameronK

Thank you for the confirmation! I'm going to try to get a date on the smaller coin with my magnifying glass, but I think it's unlikely.
Why? I coax stories out of unidentified coins.

Figleaf

A 3 is unlikely, so it is likely 172x. I get better results from a USB microscope than from a magnifier.

Peter