Author Topic: The Tower Mint  (Read 260 times)

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
The Tower Mint
« on: April 15, 2016, 02:35:54 PM »
Numismatists who have ventured into the deepest wilds of Gibraltar have confirmed that Gibraltarian coins do indeed circulate there, and some of them were produced by the Tower Mint, a private UK mint based in London (not to be confused with the Royal Mint in its former days at the Tower). I therefore feel justified in starting a topic on that mint in this board, even though our administrator Figleaf will complain that it only produces coins for "flyspecks" (meaning micro-states and tiny territories).

However, I would like to find out for which crown dependencies, overseas territories or countries it has actually minted coins (circulation coins or collector pieces). Does anybody have a list?

Previously, posters have found anomalies. Is it the case that it has not actually minted the coins for some countries but only provided the packaging? See here and here.

Offline eurocoin

• Honorary Member
Re: The Tower Mint
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 04:59:51 PM »
A list on their webiste that hasn't been updated for years mentions Gibraltar, Tuvalu, Andorra and Ghana. I have contacted my contact at the Tower Mint to ask if there are any other countries for which they have produced coins.

It is correct that the Tower Mint has only assembled these non-official sets. The Tower Mint made 5000 of these sets per country.

Offline <k>

• Honorary Member
Re: The Tower Mint
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 05:12:53 PM »
Thank you, Niels. It will be interesting to see the results. I must check their web site.