Author Topic: Two Ghorid dirhems  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
Two Ghorid dirhems
« on: April 12, 2016, 01:09:28 AM »
Some time ago, I bought a few Ghorid dirhems minted in Ghazna, about 1200 AD/ 6th century AH. Here they are. I can read the year on the second coin, it is 599 AH (=1203 AD). On the first one, I canít find a year.
I believe these are coins of Ghiyath al-Din Muhammad bin Sam, but this is not obvious, can anybody help reading? I couldn't fit them in the Album list (see Album third edition 1755 and 1768). Including a detail look at one of the centres of the coins. I think it says Muhammad... but what else?
They are quite large and heavy for dirhems. They are 31 and 29,5 mm in diameter. Nr. 1 weighs 3,85 gr. and nr. 2 4,83 gr.
-- Paul

« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 12:52:52 AM by Pellinore »

Offline toofast

• Numismatics of Iran and Turkestan
Re: Two Ghorid dirhems
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 04:02:06 AM »
I think it says Muhammad... but what else?

It says Muhammad bin Sam.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 09:11:58 AM »
This is a so called bull's eye dirham, struck under Mu'izz al-dim Muhammad bin Sam, with reference to his older brother and overlord Ghyath al-din Muhammad Bin Sam on the other side. There have been a few of these posted already under Muhammad bin Sam as Sultan of Delhi.  Look here But as this one was not minted in India it is good to have some nice examples of these here with the rest of the Ghorid issues also. For reference: this is included in G&G as D3, Album 1770.

Anthony

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 10:00:12 AM »
This is a so called bull's eye dirham, struck under Mu'izz al-dim Muhammad bin Sam, with reference to his older brother and overlord Ghyath al-din Muhammad Bin Sam on the other side. There have been a few of these posted already under Muhammad bin Sam as Sultan of Delhi.  Look here But as this one was not minted in India it is good to have some nice examples of these here with the rest of the Ghorid issues also. For reference: this is included in G&G as D3, Album 1770.

Anthony

Thanks very much! As for Album 1770, he mentions only the years 596-597. I can't find the year on the first coin, but on the second I read 599.
And Toofast, thanks for helping me with the second line of the bull's eye. It's logical, and now I know it it's simple, but as an Arab reader I'm a tiny toddler. Attractive coin calligraphy. 
I should add, both coins taken in hand, they are impressive glittering silver pieces not looking as black as the OP pictures. Here's a scan of both.
-- Paul
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 10:41:15 AM by Pellinore »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 06:31:38 PM »
Here one of mine, 31 mm, 4.66 grams.
I still have not transcribed the full legend, though i can recognize several text elements. Just need some spare time.
(Left picture is the Mu'izz side with mintname, right picture is the Ghiyath side.)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 09:32:31 PM by THCoins »

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 06:47:24 PM »
To add to the previous one, this is a very similar coin issued by Mu'izz with Ghiyath as overlord. Mint also Ghazna.
G&G D4, Album-1771. 31 mm, 6.5 grams.
Again the left picture names Mu'izz, below a reference to Caliph al-Nasir.

Al-Nasir li-Din Allah             الناصر لدين الله
Al-Sultan Al-Mu'azzam          السلطان المعظم
  Mu'izz al-Dunya wa               معز الدنيا و
 al-Din Abu'l Muzaffar           الدين أبوالمظفر
 Muhammad bin Sam              محمد بن سام

The right side has the reference to Ghiyath below the Kalima.

La illaha illa Allah                   لا إله إلا لله
       Muhammad rasul Allah            محمد رسول الله
         Al-Sultan al-Azam                  السلطان الأ عظم
   Ghiyath al-Dunya wa al-Din            غیاث الدنيا و الدين
Abu l'Fath Muhammad bin Sam       ابوألفتح محمد بن سام
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 09:49:11 PM by THCoins »