Author Topic: Date on Mongol dinar  (Read 943 times)

Offline BACTRIANUMIS

• bactrianumis.com
Date on Mongol dinar
« on: April 15, 2016, 09:56:15 PM »
Would appreciate colleagues' help in reading the year on this coin. Already posted it on several forums, but no ideas so far...thanks in advance!

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
Re: Date on Mongol dinar
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 08:04:18 PM »
Looked at this from several sides. But sorry, not enough of the margin text left to make an educated guess on this one.
(Your picture also made it a bit hard to look at. One picture has lighting from below and the other from above. because of that the inscription looked like it was incuse on one side when it was normal on the other. And this kept flipping on and off in my brain. )

Anthony

Offline BACTRIANUMIS

• bactrianumis.com
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 08:29:11 PM »
Dear Anthony, many thanks for your kind assistance, I really appreciate it!
It's actually a scan, so I can't do much altering to it, very sorry :-\
my thinking was that date is partially visible on "calif" (rigt image) side from 19:00 to 18:00, possibly "sana tam(ania)"..but it's just a guess.

Offline THCoins

• Honorary Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2016, 08:58:09 PM »
Agree, that would fit, but it is a bit sparse to be confident of. I don't know the series (or any gold dinars) well enough to know the normal layout of the date formula in the margin.

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2016, 11:42:50 PM »
It's actually a scan, so I can't do much altering to it, very sorry

The solution is very simple. Turn the coin 180° before scanning it. The feared inverse view occurs because the brain interprets sun above shadow below as relief and sun below shadow above as incuse. In a scanner, the light comes from one side. With some experimenting, you can find out how to position the coin correctly on the scanner bed. On combined printer/scanners, this will often be sideways.

If your brain persist in the inverse view, try closing your eyes or looking away ("refreshing" the image), preferably at something interesting.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.

Offline Pellinore

• Honorary Member
    • Some numismatic books for sale on our website
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2016, 12:39:25 AM »
Somebody told me that the light should come in at 1-2 o'clock. But if you use a scanner, it's not easy to pull the picture right point up again. Turning makes the picture vague. Is there a smart and practical solution for this problem?
-- Paul

Offline Figleaf

• Administrator
  • Honorary Member
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2016, 10:03:36 AM »
Slightly slanted ( a light source between 10 and 11 o'clock works fine also) is indeed better, but harder to achieve. That's why it doesn't matter if you haven't got the angle perfect. If turning the picture by software makes it vague, I suggest you use different software. I routinely turn pictures with software (Graphic Converter, Mac-only software) without quality loss. Christian (chrisild) uses both Macs and Peesees and may be able to help you choose software.

BTW, machine-struck coins are struck with both dies in a regular angle, so you should be able to figure out to align the down face of a coin correctly by looking at the up-face. Keep in mind that designers like to "cheat" by creating a reference point at 6 or 12 o'clock. As an example, consider the rosette below the queen's head. Or the cross on the crown and the point of the shield on the other side (now you can see the date is ever so slightly misaligned).

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.