News:

Read all about the Grand Numismatic Alliance

Main Menu

Grinzing District and ECU coins

Started by Alan Glasser, April 11, 2016, 12:40:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alan Glasser

Hello, Everyone.

In my collection of composer coins, I have a few pieces including Grinzing Guilden of Austria with Beethoven issued in 1985, numerous ICU coins and a ducat coin or 2. Examples include:

Granados, Spain (Catalonia) 5 ECU  X#__  1996  Proof
Haydn, Austria 25 ECU   1998  Proof  __
Franjo Krezma Croatia  1 Dukat   2012  Proof  __   
Beethoven, Austria (Grinzing District)  200 Schillings  X# Tn3  1985  Proof 
Beethoven, Germany ECU 1993
Mozart Austria  5 ECUS  X#-27  1996  Proof                            
           Austria  25 ECUS  X#-28  1996 Proof   and so on.

I include these in my collection as they meet MY criteria for inclusion, but I am wondering exactly what was the purpose of these issues being minted in the first place. They don't quite qualify (I think). They all have very attractive designs and many are silver and in proof condition. They are much more attractive than some of the pieces currently being minted. Check this out:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291728489666?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

All I can say is "oh really"?

Anyway, I'd appreciate any information that anyone out there could share and thanks!!!

Alan in Massachusetts

Figleaf

Quote from: alglasser on April 11, 2016, 12:40:48 AM
I include these in my collection as they meet MY criteria for inclusion

That's the bottom line.

I would say they are gold and silver bars, dressed up as novelties to attract a premium. When you buy them, the premium is lost. As long as you buy them for your enjoyment only, the deal is that you pay the premium for your joy. Only you can decide if the joy is worth the money.

Just don't buy them as an "investment" (that includes heritage.) It is very inefficient as an investment, because you lose the premium when you buy.

Peter
An unidentified coin is a piece of metal. An identified coin is a piece of history.